Title and statement of responsibility area
Woodstock General Hospital School of Nursing fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1965-1973, ca. 1982 (Creation)
- Woodstock General Hospital School of Nursing
Physical description area
approx. 14 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Woodstock General Hospital School of Nursing was founded in 1895, the same year the Hospital was opened, when a Miss Ann Hudson entered the hospital to train. However, the first formal graduation was not held until June 24, 1904 when Miss Mary Ellen McKay and Miss Myrtle Hodgins completed their studies. In 1930 the first formal class was accepted, consisting of seven students and Miss Jane West, the first Instructor, was appointed to the Staff by Miss Helen Potts, Superintendent. Formal classroom teaching was done on the first floor of the west wing in 1924, but was later moved to the basement of Gissing House in 1937.
In 1952-1953 the Candlelighting Ceremony was started to mark the completion of the Junior set of lectures and the official acceptance of the student into the school. In 1962, the Ethel M. Finkle building was opened to house the new School of Nursing. The school was built to accommodate 25-30 students per year and provided up-to-date facilities which included classroom space, laboratories and a library. In 1968 a new residence named “Vance House”, in honour of Dr. James A. Vance, President of the Hospital Board, was opened to accommodate the students.
In 1965 a Board of Nursing Education was formed under the chairmanship of Mr. Harold Swanson and planning began for the new 2 + 1 programme in Nursing Education, which made the first two years an “educational” portion and the third year a service year. The programme utilized the clinical facilities at the Woodstock General Hospital, Ontario Hospital Woodstock, Tillsonburg Memorial Hospital and later Alexandra Hospital in Ingersoll. The first class of the 2 + 1 programme graduated in September 1969. However, a few years later the school was notified that the intern year for the school would be discontinued. In 1971, the school had the largest class graduating with students from both the 2 +1 programme and the 2 year programme attending commencement. Although they were all the class of 1971, the school held two graduation ceremonies at the request of the graduates whom wish to graduate as two separate groups.
In 1973, a joint directive from the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of College and Universities ordered the transition of all diploma schools of nursing in Ontario to the Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology. The class of 1974 was the last graduating class of the Woodstock General Hospital School of Nursing.
The collection was in the custody of the Woodstock Museum before being transferred to the County of Oxford Archives in August 2014.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of seven yearbooks (1965-1969, 1972-1973) and a history book related to the Woodstock General Hospital School of Nursing.
The materials in this collection are in good condition.
Immediate source of acquisition
The County of Oxford Archives acquired the fonds from the Woodstock Museum in August 2014.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The fonds is open to public research. However, please contact the archivist responsible for the records regarding access, as some materials may be too fragile to handle. The Archives will make every effort to supply reference copies where feasible.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright is held by the archives. Researchers are responsible for observing copyright regulations that may apply to the publication of their research. If you wish to publish any of this material, please contact the archivist responsible for the records.
The Archivist has the right to restrict reproduction if the material is in a fragile condition.
A detailed finding aid is available. Please contact the Archivist for further information.
COA83 Robertson-Hopkins fonds
Woodstock General Hospital School of Nursing Graduation Photographs
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area