Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Established in 1914, the Department of Anesthesia was one of Women's College Hospital's first medical departments. The Department of Anesthesia began accepting residents and interns in the 1950s and became fully-affiliated with the University of Toronto in 1969. The Department of Anesthesia provides general, local, and regional anesthesia to surgical patients, as well as consultation services for pain management and pre-operative assessment.
Dr. Margaret McCallum-Johnston, a graduate of the Ontario Medical College for Women, was appointed the first Chief of Anesthesia (1914-1926). Dr. McCallum-Johnston was assisted by Dr. Samuel Johnston, the first full-time anesthetist in Canada, and Dr. Hannah Reid, also a graduate of the Ontario Medical College for Women. Dr. Reid succeeded Dr. McCallum-Johnston as Chief of Anesthesia (1926-1932). She was followed by Dr. Ellen Blatchford (1932-1956), Dr. Evelyn Bateman (1956-1972), Dr. Edith Rogoman (1972-1982), and Dr. Bronwyn Gates (1982-1988).
Dr. Jean Kronberg became Chief of Anesthesia in 1989. When Women's College Hospital amalgamated with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in 1998, she became Deputy Chief of Anesthesia and was responsible for the Women's College site. Dr. Kronberg again became Chief of Anesthesia at Women's College Hospital following the de-amalgamation in 2006. She remained in this position until 2012.
Dr. Kronberg was succeeded as Chief of Anesthesia by Dr. Gerald O'Leary (2012-present).