246 Archival description results for Women
246 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
This volume contains information about branch activities, family histories, pioneer stories, local personalities and more. It is illustrated with many photographs and newspaper clippings. Also included are meeting programmes for the years 1929-1930, 1930-1931, 1976-1977, 1977-1978 and 1978-1979.
In the Tweedsmuir History book, the following was written:
"For the purpose of writing up the history of our community for this Tweedsmuir book, we have limited the territory to that bordered on the south by the Iona Institute district, on the east by the Kensington Club territory, on the north by the Cowal District terrain, and on the west following the school district boundary".
- [ca. 1855-1955]
Series consists of the Tweedsmuir History of the Port Stanley Women's Institute. As curator, Miss Agnes Hepburn sought out images from the late nineteenth century to illustrate the varied activities of this port town. From the popular beach and holiday destination to the shipping and fishing industry, the Port Stanley Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History represents the activities that were once daily occurrences.
- ON00120 036-1-1-1
- 1883 - 1987
Part of Chelmsford Women's Institute
Item consists of a scrapbook made by the Chelmsford Women's Institute. The scrapbook is divided up into the Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir 'forward;' a table of contents; the Origin of Chelmsford; Description of Route from Sudbury to Chelmsford; The First Pioneers; Missionary & Parish Priests (1883 - 1956); The St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Chelmsford (1891 - 1950); The Eucharistic Congress on August 31, 1947; Other Churches in the Community; The Presbytery - Rectory (1897 - 1950); St. Joseph's Cemetery; Municipality of Chelmsford, which includes a list of the Mayors from 1901 - 1950; Parish Hall, 1935; the Hull Bridge, 1919; the Teachers Federation Group; the Grotto of Chelmsford Convent, 1942; Church Organizations: League of the Sacred Heart; the Ladies of Sainte Anne and the Children of Mary; Religious Order of the Grey Nuns of the Cross; History of St. Joseph's School (1889 - 1950); Ore Discoveries & the History of Nickel; Errington Mine, 1926; Names of the men who enlisted in the Second World War from Chelmsford Parish; Electricity in Chelmsford, 1947; the Water Works Project in Chelmsford; Fire Protection; Chelmsford Pumping Station; Chelmsford Fish & Game Protective Association; Azilda; Morgan; Larchwood; Scenery from Sudbury to Murray Mine Shaft; Chelmsford Women's Institute History & Minutes, 1949 - 1950; Papers presented at the Chelmsford Women's Institute Monthly Meetings (including Pasteurizing and How it Was Discovered by Mrs. Niemi, October 5, 1949, Newfoundland by Mrs. A. DeFinney November 2, 1949, Food and Nutrition by Mrs. D. Trottier, January 11, 1950, and Resolutions by Mrs. Kallio, February 9, 1950); the Hon. Welland S. Gemmell, Sudbury M.P.P. and Provincial Mines Minister, J. Leo Gauthier, Member of Parliament, 'Give & Get Praise at Chelmsford Meeting' (Gemmell was congratulated for his recent appointment as Mines Minister) ; City of Sudbury and District Chamber of Commerce Booklet presented in the House of Commons Draws Tribute (Gauthier grateful the Trans-Canada Highway will go through Sudbury for tourist funds as well as a defense measure for the country); Post Office Explained (new post office at Verner, Sudbury Star now to be delivered in Chelmsford by truck service instead of bus service and trains); the Bank of Nova Scotia in Chelmsford (opened June 1950); and Rene Delorme, 13, of Azilda who won a $400 scholarship and a $25 cash reward through the provincial French competition in Ottawa for literature, spelling, speech and reading. The majority of the histories are accompanied by photographs and newspaper clippings. The final section of the scrapbook is devoted to newspaper clippings concerning local news and events, including agricultural news, important visitors to the area and the activities of the Chelmsford Women's Institute. Eleven copies of photographs of various priests and church scenes (all of these copies of photographs are also located inside the other scrapbook complete with captions) and eight newspaper clippings are tucked into the back of the scrapbook.
- ON00120 036-1-1-2
- 1883 - 1978
Part of Chelmsford Women's Institute
Item consists of a scrapbook made by the Chelmsford Women's Institute. The scrapbook is divided up into the Origin of Chelmsford; The First Pioneers; St. Joseph's Church (1891 - 1950); Other Churches in the Chelmsford Community; The Presbytery & Cannon (the cannon originally protected the Church of St. Eustache in Quebec during the Papineau War and was located in the 1950's on the lawn in front of the presbytery on the corner of Main and Errington); The Presbytery(1897-1950, new rectory completed 1907) ; St. Joseph's Cemetery; The Municipality of Chelmsford (est 1890 and in 1901 separated from Balfour to become incorporated as a town. The first mayor of the Town of Chelmsford was Raphael Grouix. On January 25, 1915, council passed a motion that all future council meeting minutes be written in French. This section also includes a list of Mayors in Chelmsford from 1901 - 1956); The Chelmsford Parish Hall; The Teachers Federation Group; Hull Bridge; the Grotto of the Convent; The League of the Sacred Heart (est 1957); the Ladies of Sainte Anne (est 1906); the Children of Mary (est 1906); the Religious Order of the Grey Nuns of the Cross; History of St. Joseph's School (1889 - 1958); Ore Discoveries & the History of Nickel; Chelmsford Missionary Priests and Resident Priests (1883 - 1950); Errington Mine; Names of the men who enlisted in the Second World War from the Chelmsford Parish; Electricity in Chelmsford (est November 1947); the Water Works Project in Chelmsford (est 1948); Fire Protection (Fire Brigade est 1949); The Chelmsford Fish and Game Protective Association (est spring of 1949); Azilda (originally named Rayside by CPR but changed by Joseph Belanger to Azilda after his wife); Morgan (bought by American lumbermen George Morgan and James Craig on September 16, 1885); and Larchwood. The final section of the scrapbook is devoted to newspaper clippings concerning local news and events, including agricultural news, important visitors to the area and the activities of the Chelmsford Women's Institute along with a photograph of the members of the Chelmsford Women's Institute at their Fall Tea and Fashion Show on October 13, 1956. Tucked against the back cover of the scrapbook is a picture of Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir along with various newspaper clippings including the obituary of George Cvitkovich (ca.1907-1978), husband of Rose Cvitkovich, Convener of Historical Research for the Chelmsford Women's Institute, who compiled the scrapbooks.
The fonds consist of minute and cash books, newsletters, handbooks, reports and songbooks of the Tyendinaga East Women's Institute.
Tyendinaga East Women's Institute
Fonds consists of records created and maintained by the Tyrconnell Women's Institute. Fonds is arranged into the following series:
- Tweedsmuir History, 1854-1961
- Programmes and Reports, 1960-1962
Dunwich School Section #2 (Tyrconnell)
- CA ON00370 F0558
Fonds consists of Lindstrom's professorial and scholarly research files throughout her career, as well as records documenting her academic activities. Research files pertain to her publications and monographs such as "Defiant Sisters : A Social History of Finnish Immigrant Women in Canada, 1890-1930" (both the English and Finnish editions), and "From Heroes to Enemies : Finns in Canada, 1937-1947," as well as book chapters, articles, papers, presentations and lectures, and her involvement with the National Film Board production "Letters from Karelia," and subsequent research. The research files span the activities of Finnish and Finnish-Canadian organizations across the political spectrum, such as the Finnish Organization of Canada (left wing), and Loyal Finns in Canada (right wing). Records include oral history interviews (audio cassettes and transcripts), research notes, clippings, a significant and extensive number of photograph and letter collections passed down through generations of Finnish Canadians, diaries, correspondence, publication drafts, academic and professorial notes, microfilm of Finnish language newspapers published in Canada and archival records, financial records of Finnish-Canadian organizations such as newspapers and post-World War II relief funding bodies, scrapbooks, photocopies of rare and unusual documents such as two volumes of a Soviet register of Finnish War Crimes, a list of persons found in the mass grave at Karhumaki, and Soviet lists of North American Finns who journeyed to Karelia to help build a socialist utopia there, academic and professorial files, publicity files, files pertaining to her work with the School of Women's Studies, and her own papers as a university student. The fonds also includes letters written by Lindstrom as a newly-arrived teenaged immigrant to Canada to her best friend in Finland; many of these letters were published in Finnish with English translation in 'Letters from an immigrant teenager' in 2012.
- [19-], 1913-2008
The fonds consists of minute and cash books, Tweedsmuir history books, a guest book for the 25th anniversary, the account book for the Victoria W.I. Red Cross Society, membership cards, certificates, programmes and multiple publications including history books, songbooks and handbooks of the Women’s Institute. The Tweedsmuir histories of Victoria II contain histories of Selby, Forest Mills, Bath, Napanee, Sharp’s Corners and some local Churches. There are also a number of farm and house histories. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Series 1: Minutes Series 2: Tweedsmuir history book Series 3: Publications Series 4: Programmes Series 5: Certificates Series 6: Objects Series 7: Membership cards Series 8: Conference Series 9: 25th Anniversary Series 10: Victoria W.I. Red Cross Society
Victoria II Women’s Institute
- ON00120 001
- 1897-2000, predominant 1936-1970
This fonds consists of the scrapbooks created by the Waters Women's Institute.
Waters Women's Institute
Fonds contains the records of the Waubaushene Women's Institute.
Fonds is arranged in the following series:
Waubaushene Women's Institute
Fonds consists of scrapbooks and Tweedsmuir Histories compiled by members of the West Elgin District Women's Institute.
West Elgin District Women's Institute
Fonds contains the records of the West Simcoe District Women's Institute.
Fonds is arranged in the following series:
Tweedsmuir Histories & Scrapbooks
West Simcoe District Women's Institute
- CA ON00353 AFC 198
- 1975 - 2003
Fonds consists of records created and acquired by Western's Caucus on Women's Issues. Included are newsletters, minutes, financial records, various versions of their constitution, correspondence, documentary field tapes and reference materials as well as records relating to the Caucus' efforts to establish women's studies as a discipline, promote employment equity and contribute a women's perspective to the policy and planning processes at the university.
Also included in the fonds are the research materials of Constance Backhouse, law professor and member of the Caucus, who researched the history of women at Western as part of several projects including her report, “Women faculty at UWO: reflections on the employment equity award”, the establishment of UWO law archives and 100 years of women at Western.
Western's Caucus on Women's Issues
- CA ON00329 F07
Fonds consists of records generated by the members of the Whitby Knitting Club. Records represent club operations associated with fundraising, knitting, distributing packages overseas, and the resulting incoming and outgoing correspondence. Fonds consists of two series: Administrative records and Correspondence.
Whitby Knitting Club