Fondos - William Porte family fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

William Porte family fonds

Tipo general de material

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Código de referencia

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1862-1898, predominant 1881-1898 (Criação)

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

30 cm of textual records

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

Historia biográfica

William Porte, the eldest son of James and Mary (née Patrick) Porte, was born December 19, 1823 at Mount Heaton, near Roscrae in King’s County, Ireland. After his mother’s death in 1832, William and his father immigrated to Canada, landing at Culbertson's Wharf (now Desoronto, Ontario) on August 8, 1837. Having spent several years in the Belleville, Ontario area, the family built a log home on lot 4 of the North Proof Line road (now Richmond Street) at the north edge of Lucan (then known as Marystown) in Biddulph Township, Middlesex County. After farming for several years, Porte was selected in 1843 as the teacher at the area's first school, the building having been recently vacated by the Society of Friends' Wilberforce Settlement. In 1845, Porte returned to Belleville and married Catherine Murphy (b. 1 Nov. 1835) on October 22, 1851. Returning to Lucan in 1856, William and Catherine purchased land at the intersection of what is now William and Main Street. That year, Porte succeeded his father as township clerk, and he was appointed Lucan's first postmaster in 1859 - a position he would hold for almost 40 years. Porte was, politically, a dedicated Conservative, an adherent of the Church of England, and a charter member of the Freemasonic Irving Lodge #154. He helped form Lucan's Mechanic's Institute and was appointed to select Lucan's first library book collection. According to local lore, Porte was one of the three "Williams" after which Lucan's William Street was named, and Alice Street was named after his daughter. During their 48 years of marriage, William and Catherine had nine children: George Allan (b. 27 Aug. 1852, d. 1 Aug. 1887) James Royal (b. 26 Dec. 1857, d. 4 Mar. 1858) Mary Alice (b. 15 Feb. 1860, d. 1952) Elizabeth Emma (b. 12 Jan. 1862, d. 1945) Frederick William (b. 8 July 1865, d. 1943) Maude (b. 28 Mar. 1867) Ida Kate (b. 22 May 1869, d. 28 Mar. 1871) Ida Kate (b. 21 Mar. 1871, d. 1968) Ernest Arthur (b. 16 Feb. 1873, d. 1906) William Porte died at home in the early hours of September 12, 1899, his wife having predeceased him by exactly three months. He, along with most of his family, now rests at the St. James Anglican churchyard near Clandeboye, Ontario. After Porte's death, his son Frederick carried on as Lucan's postmaster; after Frederick's 46 years of service, Porte's daughter, Ida Kate, succeeded her brother as postmistress. Upon her retirement in 1946, Ida Kate reminisced that her father "had us help in the post office where we sorted mail after school. He was very strict. He would not allow us to open even the family's mail, not even the newspapers."

Nombre del productor

Historia biográfica

Nombre del productor

Historia biográfica

Historial de custodia

The fonds appears to have remained in the Porte family until its donation to the University of Western Ontario Archives in 1976. The papers seem to have been passed to Mrs. Maude (Porte) Bawden and then to her daughter, Ms. Katherine M. Bawden, although the exact custodial history is unknown.

Alcance y contenido

The fonds consists of materials related to the personal and business activities of William Porte. Included are diaries, ledgers, and albums and scrapbooks of newspaper clippings. Some material from two of his children (Fred W. and Ida Kate Porte) is included. William Porte’s papers provide an excellent snapshot in the life of a growing Ontario town in the late 19th century. In recent years, Porte's personal papers have been studied and cited extensively, most notably by those researching the infamous February 4, 1880 murder of the Donnelly family. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Diaries Newspaper clippings and scrapbooks Ida Kate Porte’s journal Added material

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

Donated by Katherine M. Bawden in 1976.

Arreglo

Idioma del material

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

No restrictions on access.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Materiales asociados

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

Nota general

Complete transcripts of William Porte’s diaries have been made by G. Stott, and publication is expected (as of September, 2009).

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Nivel de detalle

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Idioma de descripción

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Tipos relacionados