Whitby (Ont.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Whitby (Ont.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Whitby was incorporated as a Village through a proclamation effective March 11, 1852 under the terms of the Baldwin Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849. In 1855, Whitby was incorporated as a Town made up of the three small communities of Port Whitby, Perry's Corners, and Hamer's Corners. Whitby's primary industry of the 19th century centred around the harbour and the transportation of local grain and lumber across Canada and to the United Kingdom.

In 1968, the former Town of Whitby amalgamated with the communities of the Township of Whitby to become known as the Corporation of the Town of Whitby. The Town of Whitby includes the Village of Brooklin and the hamlets of Ashburn, Myrtle, and Myrtle Station.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Updated: November 22, 2011
Revised: April 11, 2016

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC