Title and statement of responsibility area
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Whitby Knitting Club
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
Originally known as the Ten Monday Nighters to represent the club’s ten founding women and the day on which they met, the group formed with the intention of saving money for the purpose of vacations, weekend trips, and personal enjoyment. The women also used wool supplied by the International Order of the Daughters of the Empire (IODE) to knit socks which the IODE then sent the Whit- Knit Club was formed in October of 1940 for the purpose of knitting socks to send to Whitby’s soldiers fighting overseas during the Second World War. The name was later changed to the Whitby Knitting Club, more commonly known in the community as the Whit-Knit Club.
The club held a charter under the War Charities Act for the duration of the War and received funds from the Department of National War Services in order to supplement their own fundraising. The women contributed 50 cents a month in dues and regularly cut lawns, babysat, and organized dances and card nights to raise money for the purchase wool. In addition to these fundraising efforts, the club received donations from Whitby’s businesses and citizens.
As funds started to increase, the club found they were able to send goods in addition to their trademarked yellow-banded socks. Eventually, a standard parcel prepared by the Whit-Knit Club included a carton of cigarettes, a large chocolate bar, and razor blades. All packages also included a letter updating the soldiers of the news in Whitby.
Following the end of the War, the women decided in a meeting on May 22, 1946 that the club’s charter under the War Charities Act would not be renewed and the remaining funds would be donated to the Christie Street Veterans’ Hospital in Toronto. The Whit-Knit Club officially ceased operations on December 17, 1946.
Bereik en inhoud
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Standard number area
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Regels of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Taal van de beschrijving