Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Waters Women's Institute was founded on November 4th, 1936. It was created by the women of Waters Township as a branch of the pre-existing Women’s Institutes in Canada, founded by Adelaide Hoodless in 1897. President of the Sudbury District Women’s Institute Mrs. C. M. Weller, and Mrs. L. S. Eiler, Secretary-Treasurer, gave a presentation on Women Institutes in the old white school house in Waters. The organization was founded as a non-partisan and non-sectarian group with the primary goal of education. The Institute helped local schools both financially and as volunteers, gave classes in homes on homemaking subjects for free, sponsored girl clubs, gave financially to charities, trained women in leadership, and brought the rural mail delivery service to Waters in 1939. They also improved the cemetery with the memorial fund in 1960 and took it upon themselves to document the history of Waters Township with the creation of their Tweedsmuir History Scrapbooks.
Former Presidents of the Waters Women’s Institute include:
Mrs. Ida Moxam 1936-?
Mrs. Mevlyn Moxam 19-?
Mrs. Vieno Punkari (husband Herman) 19-?
Mrs. Jessie Hamilton 1949
Mrs. Ellen Lahti (husband Victor) 1949-51
Mrs. Pearl Glynn (husband Hugh) 1951-53, 1960-63
Mrs. Selma Ritari (husband Dave) 1953-57
Mrs. Iona Rauhala (husband Esko) 1957-60
Mrs. Nancy Jacobson (husband Charles) 1963-66
Mrs. Kathryne Stos (husband John) 1966-69
Mrs. Esme Rintala (husband Voitto) 1969-71