Collection U151 - Waterloo Lutheran Seminary collection

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Waterloo Lutheran Seminary collection

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA ON00362 U151

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1910 - ? (Creation)
    Creator
    Waterloo Lutheran Seminary
    Place
    Waterloo

Physical description area

Physical description

47 cm of textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1911-)

Administrative history

Waterloo Lutheran Seminary (WLS) officially opened on October 30, 1911 in Waterloo, Ontario in a house located on five acres of land donated by the City of Waterloo. The first class consisted of four students and one full-time faculty member, Ottomar Lincke. Lincke would also serve as the first executive officer until 1914. In 1924, Waterloo College was established, providing courses in post-secondary education. The following year, the Seminary and Waterloo College affiliated with the University of Western Ontario (UWO) allowing students to earn an accredited degree. Women were allowed to attend to Waterloo College beginning in 1929.

In 1960 Waterloo College ended its affiliation with the University of Western Ontario and became an independent, degree granting institution called Waterloo Lutheran University that operated alongside the Seminary.

The current Seminary building was dedicated on October 20th, 1963. In 1973 Waterloo Lutheran University became a provincially-funded, secular institution and was renamed Wilfrid Laurier University. The Lutheran Church was no longer responsible for the operating the University but the Waterloo Lutheran Seminary remained a federated college of Wilfrid Laurier University.

In the 1980s, the Waterloo Lutheran Seminary gained full accreditation status in the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. In 1994, a Doctor of Ministry degree was added. The year 2010 saw the creation of the Kanata Centre for Worship and Global Song, which seeks to bridge the cultural gap between developed and less developed countries. Currently, the Seminary offers a variety of diploma, master’s and doctoral programs, as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Christian Studies and Global Citizenship.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection consists of various textual records including correspondence, reports, notes, promotional material, constitution and by-laws, newspaper clippings, material for publication, award applications, special event programs, church service bulletins, and other records relating to the regular activities of Waterloo Lutheran Seminary.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds:http://library.wlu.ca/research-materials/archives/finding-aids/eastern-synod-evangelical-lutheran-church-canada-fonds
Carrol Herman Little fonds:http://library.wlu.ca/research-materials/archives/finding-aids/carroll-herman-little-fonds
Nils Willison fonds:http://library.wlu.ca/research-materials/archives/finding-aids/nils-willison-fonds
Ulrich Leupold fonds:http://library.wlu.ca/research-materials/archives/finding-aids/ulrich-s-leupold-fonds
Seminette Club fonds:http://library.wlu.ca/research-materials/archives/finding-aids/seminette-club-fonds
Women’s Auxiliary of Waterloo Lutheran Seminary fonds:http://library.wlu.ca/research-materials/archives/finding-aids/womens-auxiliary-waterloo-lutheran-seminary-fonds
History 290 : student papers

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected

General note

Title taken from contents of the fonds.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres