Title and statement of responsibility area
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1914 - 2007 (Vervaardig)
- Wilfrid Laurier University
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
In 1910 the Canada Synod and Synod of Central Canada of the Lutheran Church entered into an agreement to establish a Lutheran Seminary. Though the location first proposed for the Seminary was Toronto, Waterloo was selected when its citizens offered a tract of land on the boundary of the town. The choice of location was further influenced by the fact that the majority of Lutherans in Ontario lived in the vicinity of Waterloo and Berlin (Kitchener). In 1911 the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada opened its doors.
Facilities for pre-theological education were established in 1914 with courses leading to senior matriculation given in Waterloo College School.
In 1924 the Waterloo College of Arts, providing courses in post-secondary education in a four year program, was established. In 1925 the Faculty of Arts, under the name of Waterloo College, affiliated with the University of Western Ontario. Waterloo College soon began to offer honours degree programs in the arts.
The affiliation with the University of Western Ontario ended in 1960 when the Seminary obtained a revised charter changing the name of the institution to Waterloo Lutheran University.
On November 1, 1973, Waterloo Lutheran University became Wilfrid Laurier University, one of Ontario's provincially assisted universities after Bill 178 was given Royal Assent by the Lieutenant Governor (and former Waterloo Lutheran University Chancellor) William Ross Macdonald.
In September 1999, Laurier opened a campus in Brantford, Ontario.
Bereik en inhoud
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
The Canadian Officers’ Training Corps support for military training in the universities of Canada, 1908-1935 / Daniel Thomas Byers, 1993 CA7ON WLU37 93C15
Earning an Army Commission in the Canadian Officers’ Training Corps: a personal reminiscence of C.O.T.C. at Waterloo College in the nineteen-fifties / Harold Russell, 2002 (S742 F1.1)
HCFR: Reminiscences: Recollections of Waterloo College, 1954-58 Harold Russell, (S742 F1.2)
Life Was Different Then: Women, the war, and student life at Waterloo College, 1943-46 / Barry Ries, 2001 (U153 F8)
C.H. Little Papers: One Canadian's perspective on the Second World War / Lauren Hodges, 2003 (U96 F17)
Earl Shelley fonds. Newspaper clippings: Includes articles regarding active service of the Perth Regiment during World War II, from the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, Cord, and the Toronto Evening Telegram. (U101)
Carl Klinck Fonds. Canadian Officers’ Training Corps (S740)
1.1 Military training program
1.2 Minutes of the University of Western Ontario Joint Services University Training Committee: May 1945-Sept. 1947 (incomplete)
1.3 Correspondence: 1941-1946, 1948, 1951-1957
(Includes financial records, and documents concerning the Waterloo College war memorial)
1.4 Report of the University of Western Ontario Contingent C.O.T.C.: 1943-1945
1.5 Members of Waterloo College and Seminary who volunteered for active service with Canada’s fighting forces
1.6 Honour roll of Waterloo College and Seminary: 1914-1918, 1939-1945
1.7 Publication entitled “CATM”: number 67, October 1946
1.8 Newspaper clippings: 1942-1946
1.9 Miscellaneous: two Christmas cards, photograph of a plaque honouring the students of Waterloo College and Seminary who fought in World War II.
1.10 Photograph of officers at training (606.1)