Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1900], [ca. 1920] (Creation)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
William James Loudon (1860-1951) was a professor of physics and amateur photographer in Ontario.
Loudon was educated at Toronto's Upper Canada College and the University of Toronto. In 1881 he was appointed a demonstrator in the department of physics at Toronto, and retired in 1930 as Professor Emeritus of Mechanics.
Loudon was also the author of a number of publications, including "Fasti," "Standards of Length and Weight," "Lunar Tide on Lake Huron," amongst other writings. Loudon married Gertrude Richardson in 1882, and Elizabeth Lenahan in 1925, and was the father of one son and two daughters. In 1898 he co-founded the Madawska Club in Georgian Bay, Ontario with C.H.C. Wright. Mount Loudon in the Canadian Rockies was named after him in 1930 by the Canadian Geographical Board.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of 58 photographs taken by William J. Loudon documenting life in an Ontario lumber camp, and various buildings at the University of Toronto ca. 1900-1920.
Subjects of the photographs documents the living and working conditions in an Ontario lumber camp [Phiebin's Camp?]. Photographs show: the living spaces, the shanty cook, dining at the Crow, the storeroom of a lumber camp, log drivers riding the rapids. The lumber camp is unknown, however, it is possible that it is the Phiebin Camp, in the Ottawa Valley. Many of the photographs were taken by E. Reardon (Ottawa, Ont.)
Fonds also contains photographs of various buildings at the University of Toronto, including King's College, St. Michael's College, University College, Wycliffe College and Victoria College, the old medical building, and what is currently the Science and Medicine Library. Many of the photographs show the architecture of doorways, entrances, halls and arches of some of these buildings. Also included are views of Toronto taken form the tower at University College.
For a more detailed description, use this link to the Archives of Ontario's descriptive database:
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication