Fonds C 21 - W. and W.R.L. Blackwell fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

W. and W.R.L. Blackwell fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    CA ON00009 C 21

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1885-1944 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    ca. 400 architectural drawings

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1919-1948)

    Administrative history

    W. and W.R.L. Blackwell was an architectural firm formed in Peterborough, Ontario in 1919. The partners were William Blackwell (1850-1937) and his son, Walter Rollston Lightbourne Blackwell (1890-1957).

    Born in Lakefield, William Blackwell apprenticed with the Toronto architectural firm, Walter Strickland, 1872-1875. He then worked in New York City, 1875-1879. He later opened his own practice in Peterborough in 1880 and was joined by son, Walter, between 1919 and 1930.

    His son, Walter Rollston Lightbourne Blackwell (1890-1957), was born in Peterborough. Walter attended the University of Toronto, 1910-1912, and Columbia University, 1912-1913. He then apprenticed for the New York architectural firm of Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson. He also served as a draftsman at the New York firm of Henry D. Whitfield, 1912-1918. He eventually entered practice with his father's firm in 1919.

    With the death of William Blackwell in 1937, the firm's name remained the same until 1948, when with the arrival of James Craig, the partnership became known as W. and W.R.L. Blackwell and Craig. Meanwhile, Eberhard H. Zeidler, after immigrating to Canada from East Germany in 1951, joined the firm. When Zeidler became a full partner in 1955, the firm assumed the name of Blackwell, Craig and Zeidler. When Walter Blackwell died in 1957, the firm assumed the name of Craig and Zeidler. Zeidler moved the firm from Peterborough to Toronto in 1962.

    W. and W.L.R. Blackwell's notable projects include: a mansion for John C. Sullivan, 1886; a hotel for the Chamberlen Estate, 1887; Nicholl's Hospital, 1888; the Academy of Music, 1892; the Y.M.C.A. Building, 1895- 1896; Knox Presbyterian Church, Bobcaygeon, 1900-1901; South Central School, 1901; and St. Paul's Mission Isolation Hospital, 1910. Projects also include: the Hospital for the General Electric Company; additions to the Y.M.C.A. and the Y.W.C.A.; Rush Apartments; the Masonic Building; the Canadian Raybestos Company; and the Peterborough Lock Company.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Fonds consists of the architectural drawings of Peterborough architects, William and Walter Rollston Lightbourne Blackwell. Projects represented in the fonds include: Hospital for the Canadian General Electric Company; additions to the Peterborough Y.M.C.A.; Hospital for the General Electric Company; Rush Apartments; the Masonic Building; the Canadian Raybestos Company Building; and the Peterborough Lock Company Building.

    For a more detailed description, use this link to the Archives of Ontario's descriptive database: http://ao.minisisinc.com/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/PROV/PROV/REFD+C+21?SESSIONSEARCH

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Fonds was acquired by the Archives of Ontario in 1985 from Mrs. W.L.R. Blackwell.

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        No restrictions on access.

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Copyright held by creator. These materials cannot be published without permission of the copyright holder.

        Finding aids

        For a more detailed description, use this link to the Archives of Ontario's descriptive database: https://aims.archives.gov.on.ca/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/DESCRIPTION_WEB/WEB_DESC_DET?SESSIONSEARCH&exp=sisn%2017

        Associated materials

        For other Blackwell records, please consult C 22, the Craig, Zeidler and Strong fonds.

        Related materials

        Accruals

        General note

        Title based on contents of the fonds.

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area