Fonds F1849 - Villages United Church (Granton, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Villages United Church (Granton, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F1849

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1996-1997 (Reproduction)
    Reproducer
    United Church of Canada Archives
  • 1862-1979 (Creation)
    Creator
    Villages United Church (Granton, Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

2.43 m of textual records
38 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(2014-)

Administrative history

Villages United Church, located at 34500 Granton Line in Granton, was formed in 2014 with the amalgamation of Lucan and Granton United Churches. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Lucan United Church, located at 142 Main Street in Lucan, was established in 1925, fomerly Methodist and Presbyterian. The Methodist Church in Lucan was established in 1862. The Presbyterian Church in Lucan was established in 1867 and was named Ormiston Presbyterian Church in honour of the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Canada. The Methodist Church and Presbyterian Church united in 1925 to form Lucan United Church, using the Methodist building. The church amalgamated with Granton United Church in 2014 to form Villages United Church.

Granton United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. The Methodist Churich in Granton was established ca. 1869 and was a part of the Kirkton Circuit. It became its own circuit in 1875, which included Prospect Hill and Bethel Church in Blanshard Township.. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and formed part of a two-point charge with Wesley United Church in London Township until Wesley United Church closed in June 30, 2013. It amalgamated with Lucan United Church in 2014 to form Villages United Church.

Clandeboye United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. The Clandeboye Methodist Church was established in 1865 and the first services were held at a school house at Lewis's Corners. The church was erected in 1865 and was part of the Devonshire Circuit, which included Lucan and Nursery until 1870. In 1898 it was part of Exeter Circuit and this lasted until 1925 when the church joined the United Church of Canada. It amalgamated with Lucan United Church on June 30, 1985.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of Lucan Methodist Church (includes Lucan Wesleyan Methodist Church), 1862-1925;records of Granton Methodist Church, 1869-1920; records of Granton Methodist Circuit, 1875-1925; records, including marriages, 1896-1924, of Lucan Methodist Circuit (includes Lucan, Clandeboye), 1878-1924; records, including baptisms, 1867-1890, 1897-1907, of Ormiston Presbyterian Church, Lucan (includes Fraser's Church in Biddulph Township), 1863-1924; records, including marriages, 1902, 1909, 1923, 1925-1961, of Lucan and Cladeboye Pastoral Charge (includes Lucan Methodist Circuit, Ormiston Presbyterian Church, Lucan, Clandeboye), 1902-1999; records of Villiages Pastoral Charge, 2014-2015; records of Lucan United Church (includes Ormiston Presbyterian Church), 1922-2015; records of Wesley United Church, (Granton, Ont.), 1927-2012; and records of Clandeboye United Church, 1943-1986.

Notes area

Physical condition

Condition: Damages - requires restoration or copying

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-136 and LCM-137: positive and negative; 35mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter- Library Loan.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use microfilm where available

Finding aids

London Conference - finding aid 291

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1977.521L

Accession

2016.146L

Accession

2016.158L

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area