Fonds F 2012 - Township of Whitby fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Township of Whitby fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00329 F 2012

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1837-1968 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

7 m of textual records
1 map

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Township of Whitby was incorporated effective January 1, 1852 under the terms of the Baldwin Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849. The seat of local government was the Village of Brooklin, an agricultural community consisting of several mills and other small industries. Other communities in the Township included Ashburn, Myrtle, and Myrtle Station.

The Township of Whitby amalagamated with the former Town of Whitby in 1968 to create the current Town of Whitby.

Custodial history

These records were created and maintained by employees of the Township of Whitby. The records were transferred by the Town of Whitby to the Archives of Ontario in 1985. The records were then transferred to the Whitby Archives in 2016.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the official records of Whitby Township, including Council Minutes, 1852-1967; By-laws, 1850-1967; Board and Committee Minutes, 1884-1966; Assessment and Collectors Rolls, 1848-1968; and Clerk-Treasurer's Records, 1837-1967.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

These records were transferred to the Whitby Archives by the Archives of Ontario in 2016.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Council Minutes and By-laws are available on self service microfiche at Whitby Public Library: Please see 349.71356 Whi in the microform cabinets.

Council Minutes and By-laws are available on self service microfilm at the Archives of Ontario: MS 800 Reels 1-9

Restrictions on access

Council Minutes and By-laws may be closed for conservation purposes. Please contact the archivist for more information.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright held by creator. There are no restrictions on reproduction. If you wish to publish any of this material, please contact the archivist.

Finding aids

See finding aid for information on viewing these records.

Associated materials

See F 1839, County of Ontario fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

None expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Revised

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised: April 11, 2016

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area