Title and statement of responsibility area
Town of Whitby fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00329 F 2011
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
22 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Whitby was incorporated as a Village through a proclamation effective March 11, 1852 under the terms of the Baldwin Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849. In 1855, Whitby was incorporated as a Town made up of the three small communities of Port Whitby, Perry's Corners, and Hamer's Corners. Whitby's primary industry of the 19th century centred around the harbour and the transportation of local grain and lumber across Canada and to the United Kingdom.
In 1968, the former Town of Whitby amalgamated with the communities of the Township of Whitby to become known as the Corporation of the Town of Whitby. The Town of Whitby includes the Village of Brooklin and the hamlets of Ashburn, Myrtle, and Myrtle Station.
These records were created and maintained by employees of the Town of Whitby. The records were transferred by the Town of Whitby to the Archives of Ontario in 1984 and 1985. The records were then transferred to the Whitby Archives in 2016.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the official records of Whitby, including Council Minutes, 1855-1960; By-laws, 1855-1966; Board and Committee Minutes, 1861-1954; Assessment and Collectors Rolls, 1855-1960; Board of Health Records 1934-1957; Court Records, 1928-1955.
Immediate source of acquisition
These records were transferred by the Archives of Ontario to the Whitby Archives in 2016.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Council Minutes, and By-laws are available on self service microfilm, MS 801 Reels 1-14 at the Archives of Ontario.
Restrictions on access
Council Minutes and By-laws may be closed for conservation purposes. Please contact the archivist for more information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright held by creator. There are no restrictions on reproduction. If you wish to publish any of this material, please contact the archivist.
See finding aid for information on viewing these records.
See F 1839, County of Ontario fonds at the Archives of Ontario.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Revised: April 11, 2016
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata