Title and statement of responsibility area
Town of Sudbury
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds.
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Town of Sudbury
1.191 m of textual records
1 microfilm reel (35 mm): positive
9 microfilm reels (35 mm): negative
17 photographs : b&w copy print ; 24 x 19 cm mounted in frame 31 x 25 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Town of Sudbury was incorporated on April 14th, 1892 with the Ontario Statutes 1892, Chapter 88. Prior to this time, the area which became the Town of Sudbury was located within the Township of McKim which was surveyed by Provincial Land Surveyor Francis Bolger in 1883. The name Sudbury was given to the railway station in the area by CPR construction superintendent James Worthington, who named it after the British hometown of his wife, Caroline Frances Hitchcock Worthington. The municipality, in turn, took the name Sudbury from the station.
As an incorporated town, lower tier municipality, the Town of Sudbury had a council consisting of an elected Mayor and councilors, varying in number based on the size of the municipality. The Town was responsible for the upkeep of the local road system and the delivery of services including policing, water and sewage. The Town of Sudbury controlled the regulation of land and local administration through by-laws. It had the ability to raise money through direct taxation on land and through the use of debentures.
The Town of Sudbury became a City July 28th, 1930 under An Act to Incorporate the City of Sudbury, Ontario Statutes 1930, Chapter 102.
Former Mayors of the Town of Sudbury include;
Stephen Fournier 1893, 1896
Daniel O'Connor 1894
Murrary Clement Biggar 1895
Francis Cochrane 1897-1898, 1902
T.J. Ryan 1899-1901
Francis Foley Lemieux 1903-1904
Larry O'Connor 1905-1907, 1910-1911, 1914-1915
John McLeod 1908-1909
J.G. Henry 1912-1913
Thomas Travers 1916
Percy Morrison 1917-1919
J.A. Laberge 1920-1921
Robert H. Arthur 1922-1923
Joseph Sutherland Gill 1924-1925
Joseph A. Samson 1926-1927
Charles Bibby 1928-1929
Peter Fenton 1930
Bereik en inhoud
This fonds consists of administrative, financial, judicial, and photographic records documenting the operation of the Town of Sudbury.
Directe bron van verwerving
The microfilm reels were transferred to the Archives from the Greater Sudbury Public Library; the Building Permit records were transferred to the Archives from the Building Services department of Greater Sudbury; the Parks Commission records were transferred to the Archives from the Parks department of Greater Sudbury; the Voters' Lists were digitized by the Archives of Ontario; the Minutes, Assessment Rolls and various financial records were transferred to the Archives from the Clerks department of Greater Sudbury and the photographs were temporarily loaned from the Mayor's Office of Greater Sudbury for digitization purposes.
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Series, file and item lists available.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Regels of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Taal van de beschrijving
Schrift van de beschrijving
Digitaal object metadata