Fonds 049 - Town of Copper Cliff

Town of Copper Cliff Minutes, January 13, 1902 to July 9, 1915 Typed Transcript of the Town of Copper Cliff Minutes 1902-1915 By-Laws of the Corporation of the Town of Copper Cliff District of Nipissing By-Law No. 59. A By-Law Relating to Dogs By-Law No. 80. For Licensing and Regulating Milk and Cream Vendors, and for Providing for the Ins... By-Law No. 100. A By-Law to Regulate Traffic on the Streets and Highways of the Town of Copper Cliff By-Law 61-10 (As Amended) Being a By-Law of the Corporation of the Town of Copper Cliff for the R... Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1903 Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1904 Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1905 Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1906 Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1907 Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1908 Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1909 Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1910 Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1911 Typed Transcript of the Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1903 Typed Transcript of the Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1904 Typed Transcript of the Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1905 Typed Transcript of the Assessment Roll for the Municipality of the Town of Copper Cliff for 1906
Résultats 1 à 20 sur 56 Afficher tout
Open original Objet numérique

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Town of Copper Cliff

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on the content of the fonds.

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

ON00120 049

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1901 - 1972 (Production)
    Producteur
    Town of Copper Cliff

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

0.66 m of textual records.

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1901-1972)

Histoire administrative

The Town of Copper Cliff was incorporated on April 15, 1901 with the Ontario Statutes 1901, Chapter 51. Prior to this time, the area known as Copper Cliff was located within the Townships of McKim and Snider which was surveyed by Provincial Land Surveyor Francis Bolger in 1883.

As an incorporated town, lower tier municipality, the Town of Copper Cliff had a council consisting of an elected Mayor and six councilors. The Town was responsible for the upkeep of the local road system and the delivery of services including fire protection, policing, water and sewage. The Town of Copper Cliff controlled the regulation of land and local administration through by-laws. It had the ability to raise money through direct taxation on land and through the use of debentures.

In 1933, Lot 1, Concession 1 of the Township of Snider was annexed by the Town of Copper Cliff with the consent of the Ontario Municipal Board. The South ½ of Lot 11, Concession 3 of the Township of McKim was officially annexed under the Ontario Municipal Board to the Town of Copper Cliff in 1943. During the following two decades, the Ontario Municipal Board considered amalgamating Copper Cliff with the City of Sudbury but amalgamation did not actually occur until January 1st, 1973 under the Regional Municipality of Sudbury Act.

Former Mayors of the Town of Copper Cliff include:

Thomas Nicol Kilpatrick 1902
W.C. Kilpatrick 1903 – 1904
Fred Hamilton 1905
J.R. McKinnon 1906 – 1908
George Ralph Craig 1909 – 1913
George Ernest Silvester 1914 – 1917
E.T. Corkill 1918 – 1919
George Ralph Craig 1920 – 1929
Everett Alfred Collins 1930 – 1946
William Tolbert Waterbury 1947 – 1953
Charles Orville Maddock 1954 – 1955
Richard Ross Saddington 1956 – 1958
Richard Godfrey Dow 1959 – 1972

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

This fonds consists of administrative, financial, and judicial records documenting the operation of the Town of Copper Cliff.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

The Minutes, By-Law Pamphlets, Assessment Rolls, Programmes, Lists and various financial records were transferred to the Archives from the Clerks department of Greater Sudbury while the 1902 Voters' List was digitized by the Archives of Ontario.

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Series, file and item lists available.

Générer l'instrument de recherche

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Further accruals are expected.

Note générale

The Town of Copper Cliff's crest was created by the International Nickel Company (Inco)'s engineering department in 1945. It was designed using the "Inco Triangle" shape and it depicts the smelter in Copper Cliff with three smoke stacks and a driller working underground. The words "Nickel, Copper, Precious Metals" are written above the triangle with the year of incorporation and the name of the municipality written below the triangle. To learn more about the crest, see "Copper Cliff Gets Municipal Coat of Arms," Sudbury Star, March 14, 1945, p. 3.

Note générale

While some travel guides and name origin reference books record Explorer and Fur-Trader Samuel Hearne (1745-1792) as the person who named Copper Cliff in 1771, this was not the case. Hearne was actually exploring the Coppermine region of the Northwest Territories in 1771 and it appears he never traveled east of Churchill, Manitoba during any of his explorations. For more information on Samuel Hearne, see the Hudson's Bay Company Archives and the British Museum.

Note générale

In 1902, the town's solicitor was the law firm Clang, Buchanan & Meldrum. From 1903 to 1906, it was Clary and Buchanan and from 1907 to 1940, George Edmond Buchanan (December 12, 1875 - January 30, 1941) was the Solicitor for the Town of Copper Cliff. After Buchanan passed away, George E. Collins was appointed the Town Solicitor on February 10, 1941.

Note générale

To listen to Former Mayor Richard Godfrey Dow (1909-1982)'s October 11, 1981 interview on Memories and Music, click here https://www.archeion.ca/r-g-dow.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Ébauche

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Objet numérique (Fichier maître) zone des droits

Objet numérique (Référence) zone des droits

Objet numérique (Vignette) zone des droits

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés

Localisation physique

  • Boîte: M-079
  • Boîte: M-080
  • Boîte: M-081
  • Boîte: M-082
  • Boîte: M-083
  • Boîte: M-084
  • Boîte: M-085
  • Boîte: M-086