Title and statement of responsibility area
Town of Copper Cliff
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1901 - 1972 (Creation)
- Town of Copper Cliff
Physical description area
0.66 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Town of Copper Cliff was incorporated on April 15, 1901 with the Ontario Statutes 1901, Chapter 51. Prior to this time, the area known as Copper Cliff was located within the Townships of McKim and Snider which were surveyed by Provincial Land Surveyor Francis Bolger in 1883.
As an incorporated town, lower tier municipality, the Town of Copper Cliff had a council consisting of an elected Mayor and six councilors. The Town was responsible for the upkeep of the local road system and the delivery of services including fire protection, policing, water and sewage. The Town of Copper Cliff controlled the regulation of land and local administration through by-laws. It had the ability to raise money through direct taxation on land and through the use of debentures.
In 1933, Lot 1, Concession 1 of the Township of Snider was annexed by the Town of Copper Cliff with the consent of the Ontario Municipal Board. The South ½ of Lot 11, Concession 3 of the Township of McKim was officially annexed under the Ontario Municipal Board to the Town of Copper Cliff in 1943. During the following two decades, the Ontario Municipal Board considered amalgamating Copper Cliff with the City of Sudbury but amalgamation did not actually occur until January 1st, 1973 under the Regional Municipality of Sudbury Act.
Former Mayors of the Town of Copper Cliff include:
Thomas Nicol Kilpatrick 1902
W.C. Kilpatrick 1903 – 1904
Fred Hamilton 1905
J.R. McKinnon 1906 – 1908
George Ralph Craig 1909 – 1913
George Ernest Silvester 1914 – 1917
E.T. Corkill 1918 – 1919
George Ralph Craig 1920 – 1929
Everett Alfred Collins 1930 – 1946
William Tolbert Waterbury 1947 – 1953
Charles Orville Maddock 1954 – 1955
Richard Ross Saddington 1956 – 1958
Richard Godfrey Dow 1959 – 1972
Scope and content
This fonds consists of administrative, financial, and judicial records documenting the operation of the Town of Copper Cliff.
Immediate source of acquisition
The Minutes, By-Law Pamphlets, Assessment Rolls, Programmes, Lists and various financial records were transferred to the Archives from the Clerks department of Greater Sudbury while the 1902 Voters' List was digitized by the Archives of Ontario.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series, file and item lists available.
Generated finding aid
Further accruals are expected.
The Town of Copper Cliff's crest was created by the International Nickel Company (Inco)'s engineering department in 1945. It was designed using the "Inco Triangle" shape and it depicts the smelter in Copper Cliff with three smoke stacks and a driller working underground. The words "Nickel, Copper, Precious Metals" are written above the triangle with the year of incorporation and the name of the municipality written below the triangle. To learn more about the crest, see "Copper Cliff Gets Municipal Coat of Arms," Sudbury Star, March 14, 1945, p. 3.
While some travel guides and name origin reference books record Explorer and Fur-Trader Samuel Hearne (1745-1792) as the person who named Copper Cliff in 1771, this was not the case. Hearne was actually exploring the Coppermine region of the Northwest Territories in 1771 and it appears he never traveled east of Churchill, Manitoba during any of his explorations. For more information on Samuel Hearne, see the Hudson's Bay Company Archives and the British Museum.
In 1902, the town's solicitor was the law firm Clang, Buchanan & Meldrum. From 1903 to 1906, it was Clary and Buchanan and from 1907 to 1940, George Edmond Buchanan (December 12, 1875 - January 30, 1941) was the Solicitor for the Town of Copper Cliff. After Buchanan passed away, George E. Collins was appointed the Town Solicitor on February 10, 1941.
To listen to Former Mayor Richard Godfrey Dow (1909-1982)'s October 11, 1981 interview on Memories and Music, click here https://www.archeion.ca/r-g-dow.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata