Title and statement of responsibility area
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds.
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1918 - 1919 (Vervaardig)
- Town of Capreol
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Town of Capreol was incorporated April 1, 1918 under the Railway and Municipal Board Order Procedure File 4628. The town was named after the Township of Capreol, which was surveyed by Ontario Land Surveyor James Stewart Laird in 1893.
As an incorporated town, lower tier municipality, the Town of Capreol had a council consisting of an elected Mayor and councilors, varying in number based on the size of the municipality. The Town was responsible for the upkeep of the local road system and the delivery of services including policing, water and sewage. The Town of Capreol controlled the regulation of land and local administration through by-laws. It had the ability to raise money through direct taxation on land and through the use of debentures.
In 1955, the Township of Capreol incorporated. In 1959, all of Lot 9 and part of Lots 10 and 11 in the Sixth Concession were annexed from the Town of Capreol to the Township of Capreol with the consent of the Ontario Municipal Board. In 1973, the Town of Capreol had its borders changed again with the addition of Sellwood and Milnet. The municipality also joined the newly created Regional Municipality of Sudbury.
On January 1, 2001, the Town of Capreol amalgamated with the City of Sudbury, the Town of Nickel Centre, the Town of Onaping Falls, the Town of Rayside-Balfour, the City of Valley East, the Town of Walden and the unincorporated townships of Fraleck, Parkin, Aylmer, Mackelcan, Rathbun, Scadding, Dryden, Cleland and Dillnewly to form the City of Greater Sudbury.
Former Mayors of the Town of Capreol include;
Dr. William Frederick Shaw 1918
William Bell 1919
Henry Clement 1920, 1922-1923
Charles Hart 1921
Walter Jones 1924-1926
Peter Kilgour 1927-1928
Anthony Hall 1929
J. Murray Mills 1930
Percy Robinson 1931
William Gibson 1932-1935, 1944-1946, 1953-1954
James E. Coyne 1936-1943
Alistair MacLean 1947-1952
Harold Prescott 1955-1961, 1964-1968, 1973-1974
John MacLean 1962-1963
Norman Fawcett 1969-1972
Frank Mazzuca 1975-1997
Dave Kilgour 1997-2000
Bereik en inhoud
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
The petition for the Corporation of the Town of Capreol was filed by Dr. William Frederick Shaw on January 16, 1918. Further materials were filed on February 6, 1918 and the order for incorporation was issued on February 12, 1918 but did not come into force until April 1, 1918.
To learn more about the Town of Capreol's first mayor Dr. William Frederick Shaw, see https://www.archeion.ca/shaw-william-frederick.
To learn more about James S. Laird (October 1, 1842 – November 21, 1928), see the Association of Ontario Land Surveyors at https://www.aols.org/sites/default/files/Laird-J.S.pdf.
“The following surveys of townships have been carried out this year… the townships of Capreol…, also in the District of Nipissing, have been sub-divided into lots of 320 acres each.” Report of the Commissioner of Crown Lands of the Province of Ontario for the Year 1893, Sessional Papers, Vol. XXVI, Part IV, Fourth Session, Seventh Legislature, of the Province of Ontario, Session 1894, (Toronto: Lud. K. Cameron, Queen’s Printer), 1894, p. viii
“(Appendix No. 21). Township of Capreol. District of Nipissing, Essex, Ontario, December 22nd, 1893. SIR, - I have the honor to submit the following report of the survey of the township of Capreol, in the district of Nipissing, performed under instructions from your department, dated 27th day of June, 1893, together with field notes, plans and account of the same, transmitted herewith, all of which, I trust, will be found satisfactory.” James S. Laird, Ontario Land Surveyor Report to the Honorable A.S. Hardy, Commissioner of Crown Lands, Toronto, Sessional Papers, Vol. XXVI, Part IV, Fourth Session, Seventh Legislature of the Province of Ontario, Session 1894, (Toronto: Lud. K. Cameron, Queen’s Printer), 1894, p. 39 https://books.google.ca/books?id=QChAAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA39&lpg=RA1-PA39&dq=Sessional+Papers+ontario+1894+%22capreol%22&source=bl&ots=HAv16AIdht&sig=ACfU3U29ssGDd0aQzJEHf4N5OE-4MQrunA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF9cTcqpfmAhWHY98KHfVmAKIQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Sessional%20Papers%20ontario%201894%20%22capreol%22&f=false
The Town of Capreol was named after the township. According to "Town of Capreol 60th Anniversary Celebrations 1918-1978," Cyril T. Young laid out the townsite and the township was named after the former Toronto, Lake Simcoe & Lake Huron Union Railway Company Director Frederick Chase Capreol (1803-1886). To learn more about Frederick Capreol, see the Dictionary of Canadian Biography at http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/capreol_frederick_chase_11E.html.