Town of Capreol

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Town of Capreol

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1918-2000

History

The Town of Capreol was incorporated April 1, 1918 under the Railway and Municipal Board Order Procedure File 4628. The town was named after the Township of Capreol, which was surveyed by Ontario Land Surveyor James Stewart Laird in 1893.

As an incorporated town, lower tier municipality, the Town of Capreol had a council consisting of an elected Mayor and councilors, varying in number based on the size of the municipality. The Town was responsible for the upkeep of the local road system and the delivery of services including policing, water and sewage. The Town of Capreol controlled the regulation of land and local administration through by-laws. It had the ability to raise money through direct taxation on land and through the use of debentures.

In 1955, the Township of Capreol incorporated. In 1959, all of Lot 9 and part of Lots 10 and 11 in the Sixth Concession were annexed from the Town of Capreol to the Township of Capreol with the consent of the Ontario Municipal Board. In 1973, the Town of Capreol had its borders changed again with the addition of Sellwood and Milnet. The municipality also joined the newly created Regional Municipality of Sudbury.

On January 1, 2001, the Town of Capreol amalgamated with the City of Sudbury, the Town of Nickel Centre, the Town of Onaping Falls, the Town of Rayside-Balfour, the City of Valley East, the Town of Walden and the unincorporated townships of Fraleck, Parkin, Aylmer, Mackelcan, Rathbun, Scadding, Dryden, Cleland and Dillnewly to form the City of Greater Sudbury.

Former Mayors of the Town of Capreol include;
Dr. William Frederick Shaw 1918
William Bell 1919
Henry Clement 1920, 1922-1923
Charles Hart 1921
Walter Jones 1924-1926
Peter Kilgour 1927-1928
Anthony Hall 1929
J. Murray Mills 1930
Percy Robinson 1931
William Gibson 1932-1935, 1944-1946, 1953-1954
James E. Coyne 1936-1943
Alistair MacLean 1947-1952
Harold Prescott 1955-1961, 1964-1968, 1973-1974
John MacLean 1962-1963
Norman Fawcett 1969-1972
Frank Mazzuca 1975-1997
Dave Kilgour 1997-2000

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Shaw, William Frederick (1858-1922)

Identifier of the related entity

051

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1918

Description of relationship

Dr. William Frederick Shaw was the first mayor of the Corporation of the Town of Capreol.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

051

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC