Fonds TW fonds - Toronto Western Hospital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Toronto Western Hospital fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title is based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00343 TW fonds

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1894-1986 (Creation)
    Creator
    Toronto Western Hospital
  • 1878-1993 (Accumulation)
    Accumulator
    Toronto Western Hospital
  • 1878-1993 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

8.2 m of textual records.
ca. 2.3 m of photographs.
5 cm of architectural drawings.
1 drawing : black pen and ink ; 20 cm x 20 cm.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1895-1986)

Administrative history

The Toronto Western Hospital (TWH) had its origins in December 1895 when twelve doctors signed a prescription pad pledging $100 each towards the furnishing of a hospital in Toronto’s west end. These twelve doctors were G.H. Carveth, Price Brown, J.F. Dawson, Jas. McCullouch, John Hunter, J.B. Gullen, T.S. Webster, W.J. Wilson, James Spence, S.G.T. Barton, S.M. Hay, and J. Ferguson. In 1896 these doctors opened a small free public dispensary at 448 Bathurst Street and became incorporated under the Provident and Friendly Societies Act under the name of The Toronto Western Hospital. The public dispensary was briefly housed at 417 Euclid Avenue before the rental of two houses on Manning Avenue (393-395) which became the first home of the hospital.

In 1899 the hospital was incorporated by a Special Act of the Legislature and secured the McDonnell (or MacDonald) family property at 399 Bathurst Street. Eventually new buildings were erected on the site, but at first, the existing buildings on the McDonnell property were renovated and opened for patients on December 16, 1899.

In 1912 the hospital became affiliated with the University of Toronto as a teaching hospital and a new Act of Incorporation, which received official assent on May 1, 1914, was enacted to allow medical students to attend clinics at the hospital. This was the hospital’s second educational undertaking as they already had a School for Nurses since 1896.

In March 1926 Toronto Western Hospital merged with Grace Hospital and operated as two separate Divisions for ten years. In 1936 both Divisions were fully amalgamated on the property of the Toronto Western Hospital and the Grace Division was closed. On October 29, 1986 Toronto Western Hospital merged with the Toronto General Hospital to form The Toronto Hospital.

In the 1896 By-Laws the general management of the hospital was by a Board of Trustees—10 gentlemen, all of whom were to be elected at the Society’s Annual Meeting for a 1 year term. The Board of Trustees had three Standing Committees: Finance, Management and Supplies. The 1914 By-Laws repealed the 1896 By-Laws and enacted a Board of Governors which in addition to elected members included representation from the Province of Ontario and City Council. By the 1970s the Board of Governors was again referred to as a Board of Trustees. According to the 1977 By-Laws, this group of appointed and elected members had now grown to 21. The Presidents of the Corporation of the Toronto Western Hospital (aka Presidents of the Board of Governors/Trustees) have been: Col. Alfred Morgan Cosby (1896-1900), Edward Frederick Clarke (1900-1905), Thomas Crawford (1905-1926), Alex Fasken (1926-1944), E.J. Coombs (1944-1952), Sigmund Samuel (1952-1954), Gordon Clifford Leitch (May 1954-June 1954), Collamer Chipman Calvin (1954-1963), Albert Bruce Matthews (1963-1969), Trevor F. Moore (1970-1973), J.A. Rhind (1974-1979), Fraser M. Fell (1980-1985), and P.A. Crossgrove (1985-1986).

The Superintendent was the chief executive officer of the Hospital and under the direction of the Board of Governors/Trustees was in charge of the general supervision of the affairs of all departments and immediate direction of the Hospital Staff and employees. The title of Superintendent was later changed to General Superintendent (1930), Administrator (1965), Executive Director (1967) and finally President and Chief Executive Officer (1985). The General Superintendent was the head of a Co-Ordinating Committee, which was set-up under the authority of the Board in 1948. By 1968 the Executive Director was head of the “Administrative Officers”. By 1977, this body was known as “Senior Management”. When TWH merged with TGH in 1986, the Acting President was Mr. M.R.F. Taylor. His predecessors had been Dr. James McCullough (1896-?), H.C. Tomlin (?-1918), A.C. Galbraith (1918-1929), A.J. Swanson (1930-1956), M.B. Wallace (1956-1967), J. Boyd McAulay (1968-1984), and Carl C. Hunt (1985-1986).

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds is arranged into 27 series:

TW 1. Board of Governors/Board of Trustees records
TW 2. Office of The Superintendent records
TW 3. Medical Staff records
TW 4. Department of Nursing records
TW 5. School of Nursing records
TW 6. Toronto Western Hospital Auxiliary records
TW 7. Grace Hospital records
TW 8. Personnel records
TW 9. Publications
TW 10. Internal Committee files
TW 11. Photographs
TW 12. Building Campaign records
TW 13. Architectural plans and drawings
TW 14. Dr. Augusta Stowe-Gullen papers
TW 15. Dr. Lionel T. Armstrong papers
TW 16. Arthur J. Swanson papers
TW 17. Dr. G. Harvey Agnew papers
TW 18. Department of Radiology records
TW 19. Department of Medicine records
TW 20. Dietary/ Food Services Department records
TW 21. Department of Anaesthesia records
TW 22. Department of Pathology research study
TW 23. Department of Rehabilitation Medicine photographs
TW 24. Department of Obstetrics And Gynecology Annual Report
TW 25. Research Office reports
TW 26. Miscellaneous records on the hospital’s history
TW 27. Department of Finance records

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some files are restricted for 120 years from date of creation, to ensure compliance with Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA). To request access to these items, please submit an application to UHN’s Research Ethics Board using the appropriate online forms and procedures. Please see series and sub-series descriptions and file lists for further details.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series and sub-series level descriptions and file lists are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

University Health Network Archives

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Added to Archeion July 19, 2012. Last Updated: February 2, 2015.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres