Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Toronto Western Hospital. Atkinson School of Nursing
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In 1950 the Toronto Western Hospital School of Nursing was renamed the Atkinson School of Nursing of the Toronto Western Hospital when a grant was received from the Atkinson Foundation for Nursing Education. At the same time the School became independent of the Toronto Western Hospital's Department of Nursing with the appointment of a Director of Nursing Service to head the Department, while Miss Gladys J. Sharpe became Director of Nursing Education, in charge of the School.
From 1950-1955 a pilot program was carried out at the School, by which the education program was reduced from three years to two years and a one-year internship. In 1955 this change was adopted permanently.
Following Miss Sharpe’s retirement in 1951, Blanche Duncanson (1951-1958) and Amy Griffin (1958 - ?) served as Director of Nursing Education. Beginning in 1972 the Atkinson School of Nursing was gradually phased out of independent existence, and in 1974 the School was formally dissolved and its functions transferred to George Brown College.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of related entity
Category of relationship
Dates of relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
University Health Network Archives
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Last updated: July 16, 2012. Added to Archeion July 31, 2012.