Toronto General Hospital. Department of Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Toronto General Hospital. Department of Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

[1950?]-1986

History

The Department of Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine was established in [1950?], and was responsible for conducting research and providing treatment to assist patients recovering from physical injury and disease. During the 1950s the Department comprised two divisions: Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy. By 1984 the Department encompassed four divisions - Physiatry, Speech Pathology, Occupational Therapy, and Physiotherapy - and was also responsible for administering the Cardiovascular Rehabilitation Programme, receiving patients referred from the Division of Cardiovascular Surgery. Dr. W.J. Gardiner [1950?]-1968, and Dr.W.O. Geisler [1969 -?] served as Directors of the Department. Following the 1986 merger with the Toronto Western Hospital to form The Toronto Hospital the Department was administratively subsumed by TTH Department of Rehabilitation Medicine.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Toronto General Hospital (1819-1986)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

[1950?]-1986

Description of relationship

The Department of Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine was one of the departments of the Toronto General Hospital.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

University Health Network

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Last Updated: March 25, 2013. Added to Archeion March 26, 2013.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC