Toronto General Hospital. Cardiovascular Investigation Unit

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Toronto General Hospital. Cardiovascular Investigation Unit

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1956-?

History

The Unit opened in September 1956, located on the 9th floor of the Private Patients Pavilion (Bell Wing). It was an interdepartmental, joint medical and surgical unit for the investigation and treatment of cardiovascular disease. The Unit was initially headed on an alternating basis by Dr. W.G. Bigelow and Dr. W. Greenwood. Dr. R. Gunton and Dr. R. Heimbecker were appointed as the first full-time staff members of the Unit.

The Unit was greatly expanded in 1961, with a staff of 7 cardiologists, 3 radiologists, 2 peripheral vascular specialists, 4 surgeons, 2 anaesthetists, 1 cardiovascular specialist and 7 research fellows. Dr. Douglas Wigle became Director of the Unit in July 1964.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Toronto General Hospital (1819-1986)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1956-?

Description of relationship

The Cardiovascular Unit was part of the Toronto General Hospital.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

University Health Network Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Last Updated: April 3, 2013. Added to Archeion April 3, 2013.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC