Thunder Bay, City of

Elements area

Taxonomy

Code

48° 24' 05" N 89° 16' 04" W

Scope note(s)

  • In January 1970, the city of Thunder Bay was formed with the amalgamation of the townships of Neebing and McIntyre, and the cities of Port Arthur and Fort William.

Source note(s)

  • Thunder Bay, City of

Display note(s)

    Hierarchical terms

    Thunder Bay, City of

    Thunder Bay, City of

    Equivalent terms

    Thunder Bay, City of

    • UF Fort William
    • UF Port Arthur
    • UF Neebing, Township of
    • UF McIntyre, Township of

    Associated terms

    Thunder Bay, City of

      109 Archival description results for Thunder Bay, City of

      109 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
      Administrative Reports
      CA ON00372 219 · Series · 1970-1999
      Part of City of Thunder Bay fonds

      Series consists of reports prepared by various departments of The City of Thunder Bay relating to assessments of current practices and systems and recommendations for improvement which are brought forward to Council for consideration. Reports cover a range of topics and issues including contracts, agreements, by-laws, property acquisition and the sale of property, city infrastructure and development, transportation, parking, services and programs, civic organization, council and committee structure and the development and maintenance of parks and recreation facilities in The City of Thunder Bay. Reports feature attached resolutions detailing council’s recommendations in relation to the issues raised in each report.

      Administrative Reports are maintained by the Office of the City Clerk. The Office of the City Clerk oversees all departments of the municipal government and the operations of City Council. The main responsibilities held by the Office of the City Clerk include: presenting proposed by-laws to Council; preparing agendas for Council and providing secretarial services for Council and Committees of Council.

      Aerial Photographs
      CA ON00372 92 · Series · 1949-1996
      Part of City of Thunder Bay fonds

      Series consists of aerial photographs of the City of Thunder Bay. Included are aerial views of the former City of Fort William from 1949, 1955, 1959, 1962, 1968 and 1969; aerial views of the former City of Port Arthur from 1959 and 1969; and aerial views of the amalgamated City of Thunder Bay from 1974, 1976, 1981, 1983, 1987, 1991 and 1996. Also included in this series are aerial photographs of the Port Arthur urban renewal area from 1968.

      Amerikan Laulajat fonds
      Fonds · 1956 - 2002

      An umbrella organization for Finnish male choruses in North America.

      The records relate to the organization's administration and finances, and to major events including nine performing tours of Finland and performances in North America.

      Member choirs have included:
      Chicago: Sibelius Male Chorus
      Detroit: Finlandia Male Chorus
      Florida: Male Singers of Florida
      Los Angeles: Finnish Male Chorus
      New York: New Yorkin Laulumiehet
      Sault Ste Marie: Sault Finnish Male Chorus "Kaleva"
      Sudbury: Sudburyn Laulumiehet
      Thunder Bay: Mieskuoro Otava Male Choir
      Toronto: Toronton Mieslaulajat
      Vancouver: Vancouverin Mieslaulajat

      As Built Consultant Drawings
      CA ON00372 361 · Series · 1972-1998
      Part of City of Thunder Bay fonds

      Primarily folded construction drawings relating to sewers, sidewalks, parking lots, traffic lights, etc. and some letters from the Telephone Department, Thunder Bay Hydro and Centra Gas.

      Assessment Rolls
      CA ON00372 40 · Series · 1970-2010
      Part of City of Thunder Bay fonds

      The Office of the City Clerk reports to the City Manager and is responsible for maintaining all
      legislative and administrative requirements necessary for the effective functioning of the City.
      The primary responsibilities of the Office of the City Clerk include managing the registration
      of vital statistics information, preparing agendas for City Council and providing advice to
      Council regarding the policies and operations followed by the City. Another major
      responsibility of the Office of the City Clerk is to oversee the assessment of property tax.
      Assessment Rolls are compiled each year by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation
      (MPAC), the provincial government body responsible for the assessment of property value for
      properties in all municipalities across Ontario. The City Clerk directs the certification and
      amendment of Assessment Rolls prepared by MPAC each year within the City of Thunder
      Bay. The information recorded in the Assessment Rolls is used by the City to calculate
      municipal property taxes.

      Series consists of Assessments Rolls covering residential, commercial and government owned
      properties. Assessment Rolls include the following information: parcel number, name and
      mailing address, religion, location and description of the property being assessed, school zone
      including school support, tax class, total valuation, exempt distribution and taxable
      distribution. Earlier Assessment Rolls from this series may include additional information
      such as; marital status, occupation and year of birth. Recent Assessment Rolls also specify
      whether or not there were any changes in property ownership for the years that the Assessment
      Roll covers.

      The Assessment Rolls are arranged by ward and subdivision. Assessment Rolls produced
      between 1970 and 1979, are divided into wards for Fort William, Port Arthur, McIntyre
      (Shuniah) and Neebing. Later Assessment Rolls, from 1980 onward, are divided into seven
      different wards; McIntyre, Neebing, Current River, Northwood, McKellar, Red River and
      Westfort.

      Assessment Rolls can also be navigated by municipal address and name for the years 1976 –

      1. See Related Series: Series 41: Street Indexes to Assessment Rolls; and Series 42: Name
        Indexes to Assessment Rolls.

      Also included in this series are Supplementary Assessment Rolls and Total Current Value
      Rolls. Supplementary Assessment Rolls detail changes in ownership and provide information
      on proportionate assessments for new property owners. Total Current Value Rolls include
      statistical information on the total assessed values for properties which have been divided into
      the following categories; residential (includes English and French separate school and public
      school), commercial, office building, industrial, exempt, parking lot and multi-residential.

      Assessment Rolls
      CA ON00372 13 · Series · 1902-1969
      Part of City of Fort William fonds

      E. S. Rutledge was appointed in 1903 as the Collector of Rates for the Town of Fort William and retired at the end of 1905.

      When established as a Town on April 14th, 1892 by the Province of Ontario, four wards were established in Fort William and their boundaries defined. Assessment rolls, currently in preparation by the township of Neebing, were to be transferred as appropriate to the new Town of Fort William for the collection of taxes. It is unknown who acted as the original assessment commissioner and tax collector for the Town of Fort William, however, J.J. Wells held the position from 1905 to 1912 and was the original Assessment Commissioner /Tax Collector for the newly incorporated City in 1907.

      Under the Act Respecting Municipal Institutions 1914 (Chapter 192 Section 230) assessment commissioners could be appointed by a Council through a By-law. The records show Assessment Commissioners for the Town of Fort William as follows; J.J. Wells, 1905 to
      1912 - Charles England, 1913- 1916 - R. Dagger 1931 to June 1945 (Hendersons) - Alexander Halliday appointed under By Law 3937 dated June 26th, 1945 and sworn in June 30, 1945 - 1950 Hendersons Lists J. A. Colvin as Assessment Commissioner - W. Paul Simpson appointed under By-law 4356 dated July 11th 1950 takes office August 8th - Wilbert Wray appointed under By-law 11-1957 dated February 26th, 1957.

      Organized by Ward and Subdivision, details of the Assessment Rolls included the Name, Address and Occupation of the Property Owner, the street name, lot number, house number, plan number, size of the lot, The Rate, the Actual Land and Building Value, school support, number of children and whether the occupant was a tenant or an owner.

      In addition to calculating property values for tax purposes, early Assessment rolls were used for election purposes to establish polling sub divisions and to determine eligibility to vote on the bases of property ownership.

      Under By-law 4262 (1949) Assessment for the year was to be conducted between January and September, the assessment rolls to be returned to the City Clerk by dates specified in the bylaw. In the same year, a report prepared by Stevenson and Kellogg indicated that the Commissioner completed all assessments and that the department was overburdened, spending most of its time on the collection of taxes. It was recommended that the department be severed in order to have one assessment office and one tax office. In 1950 this division was completed and a new Assessment Commissioner was hired for the City of Fort William.

      This series is virtually complete consisting of 817 bound volumes with detailed records of information for assessment purposes. Fort William Collector’s Rolls, Series 15 may substitute or be used to fill in any gaps in the Assessment Rolls.

      Assessment Rolls - Industry
      CA ON00372 14 · Series · 1915-1951
      Part of City of Fort William fonds

      This series is a record of the assessment of industrial properties in the City.

      When established as a Town on April 14th, 1892 by the Province of Ontario, four wards were established in Fort William and their boundaries defined. The researcher must know the street address in order to use the assessment rolls efficiently, as well the ward would be beneficial. In addition to calculating property values for tax purposes, early assessment rolls were used for election purposes to establish polling subdivisions and to determine eligibility to vote on the basis of property ownership.

      Under the Act Respecting Municipal Institutions 1914 (Chapter 192 Section 230) assessment commissioners could be appointed by a Council through a By-law. Included in each Assessment Roll is a form called “Affidavit of Assessor in Verification of Assessment Roll” that has been notarized by the commissioner and assessor. The Town of Fort William’s Assessment Commissioners were A. McNaughton from 1915 to 1944 and D. M. Martin from 1945 to 1949 and 1951. The Assessors were Charles England from 1915 to 1918, J. Richard Dagger from 1919 through 1944, A. Halliday from 1945 to 1949 and W. Paul Simpson in 1951.

      Organized by Ward and Subdivision, details of the Assessment Rolls included part or all of the following; Name, Address and Occupation of the Property Owner, Owner or Tenant, the street name, lot number, house number, plan number, size of the lot, Rate, Actual Value of Land, Building Value and total of both, school support and date of delivery of notice. Each book also includes a summary of assessment and details.

      A supplementary Assessment Roll for 1915, 1916, and 1917 was produced.

      This series is virtually complete consisting of 37 bound volumes with detailed records of information for assessment purposes.

      Fonds · 1913 - 1955

      The collection consists of architectural plans and drawings for construction projects (primarily grain elevators) in Ontario and Manitoba.

      Belle Kittredge fonds
      CA ON00318 A 31 · Fonds · 1891-1892

      Fonds consists of diary of Belle Kittredge concerning her activities in Port Arthur.

      Kittridge, Belle Stuart
      Bernard Black fonds
      CA ON00318 A 28 · Fonds · 1873-1958

      Legal papers and publications dealing with various legal matters handled by Mr. Black. Covers industrial and business matters such as the location of factories, inter-switching, road construction, mining lands, lumbering, and a taxation dispute. Also deals with C.W. Cox, former mayor of Port Arthur.

      Black, Bernard I.
      CA ON00372 5 · Series · 1904-1969
      Part of City of Fort William fonds

      A Cemetery and Parks Committee appears to have been established in the fall of 1901 as a 5-member sub-committee of Council. For the period 1904-1905, the committee was chaired by J.E. Dean. There is no indication of how park and cemetery functions were directed after 1905 as there are no references to the committee within the Fort William council minutes, and no remaining minutes for this or any related Committee until the formulation of the Parks Board in 1910.

      After public consultation in the form of a plebiscite, and the adoption of By-law 735, the Board of Parks Management was created in 1910 under the authority of the Ontario Public Parks Act. The original public petition for the Board of Parks Management is available in the Fort William City Clerks files. (TBA 4 – File 131 entitled Parks Board 1910-1920)

      Appointments to the Parks Board were formally established by Council on January 11 1910, with the first regular meeting of the Board of Parks Management held January 28th, 1910, chaired by W. A. Dowler.

      Early ventures for the Board of Parks Management included the acquisition and control of existing park properties, boulevards, and the hiring of a landscape architect. The Parks Board undertook improvements to various park properties, scheduled use of park facilities and maintained a greenhouse. In addition to developing Chippewa Park and leasing cabins on Sandy Beach, the board assumed responsibility for the management of city cemeteries at various points after 1917. The Parks Board undertook responsibility for the formation of outdoor skating rinks in 1942, participated in the initiative to establish a skiing facility near Mount McKay in 1947 and undertook the Fort William Centennial Conservatory Project in the late 1960s.

      Recreational committees began to surface as early as 1943 with an appointment of a Special Recreational Committee on March 15. Later, under the authority of By-law 4263 (1949) the Fort William Civic Recreation Committee was established to provide a program of community recreation as prescribed under the Department of Education Act. As the functions of recreation and parks committees were similar, Council passed a motion for the Board of Parks Management to assume the Civic recreation program in 1952. To avoid the requirement for a public plebiscite for the dissolution of the two boards and the creation of a new board to manage both functions, Council resolved the issue through By-law 4492, which passed and received approval from the Ontario Department of Education in 1952. This by-law allowed council to appointment members of Board of Parks to the Civic Recreation Committee. Both committees maintained separate minutes, but were in effect managed under the Board of Parks Management. Minutes (January 1966 to January 1967) for the Fort William Civic Recreation Committee are bound with the Board of Parks Management Minutes 1964-1965. Minutes for the Fort William Board of Parks Management end in 1969 due to the amalgamation of the City of Fort William and Port Arthur.

      This Series Consists of meeting minutes relating to the management of Parks and Cemeteries for the City of Fort William. Eleven bound volumes exist, for which there are no indices. The first volume for the Board of Parks Management, dated January 28, 1910 to December 3, 1917, contains the originating By-law 1. Some Newspaper clippings and reports are interspersed. After 1935 the minutes reflect a growing structure for parks management. Reports from the Inside Park Committee, Chippewa Park Outside Committee, McKellar Park Committee, Finance Committee and a Tourist Committee are included for the period 1935-1936. While it appears that the first four are sub-committees to the Parks Board, the Tourist committee appears to be a committee of council with representation from the Parks Board. Frequent progress reports are included from Mr. A. Widnall, the longstanding Board Secretary and Parks Manager and reports from various Chairmen.

      Also included with this series, custodial history of which is not known, is the Annual Statement for the Fort William Board of Parks Management for the year 1949. Included in this document are the statement of receipts and payments for the year, as well as the operating statement and highlights of various activities held at and improvements made to the City's parks throughout the year.

      Bridge Drawings
      CA ON00372 385 · Series · 1947, 1988-1994
      Part of City of Thunder Bay fonds

      This series includes copies of blueprints of bridges located in the City of Thunder Bay, as well as some textual material.

      Building Permit Registers
      CA ON00372 11 · Series · 1907-1969
      Part of City of Fort William fonds

      Outlined in By-law 325 (1903), the duties of the Building Inspector included the examination of construction of buildings and repairs, making the Office of the Building Inspector a likely candidate for the responsibility of the Fort William building permit registers. Through reviewing annual reports (Series 16) it appears that the office of the Building Inspector came under the direction of the Fire Water and Light Committee.

      Arranged numerically by year and permit number, registers (Between 1912 and 1972) generally include the following details:
      permit number, date, owner, information on the location of the building including lot, block, plan, street and address, a description of the building including construction details of walls, foundations and roof, the names of architect/contractor and plumber/electrician, the costs of the construction, any fees charged and the purpose of the permit. Monthly summaries give the
      totals for different categories of construction such as duplexes, single dwellings, sheds, commercial and institutional buildings.

      The earliest building permits (1907-1911) do not include details regarding the contractor, builder, plumber or electrician, but still provide a description of the purpose of building and value attached to the construction.

      This series consists of bound volumes with details of construction completed under a permit number. There is no index to permit numbers, by name or property. Researchers must know the approximate year of the construction for a property in order to search, page by page, for the street address.

      By-laws
      CA ON00372 3 · Series · 1892-1969
      Part of City of Fort William fonds

      By-laws cover a great variety of issues and concerns. There are By-laws to formalize agreements with other institutions, appoint municipal officials, regulate tax collection, construct sidewalks and roadways, license local establishments, provide for holding elections, establish rates for water and other applicable utilities, and construct City facilities. While most By-laws pass after three readings by council, some early by-laws affecting the “future position” of the municipality required the electoral approval by ratepayers according to the Municipal Act. These by-laws would generally include debenture by-laws for the borrowing of funds on credit, but would also include by-laws for annexation or separation, a re-division
      of wards, construction of street railways, local assessment and improvement to name a few.

      Interspersed with the earliest Fort William By-laws, there are also sundry by-laws generated by the Municipality of Neebing (1890-1894).

      City of Fort William (Ont.)
      CA ON00372 275 · Series · 1980-1994
      Part of City of Thunder Bay fonds

      The Canada Games Complex, located at 420 Winnipeg Avenue, Thunder Bay, Ontario, was constructed as a venue for aquatic events for the 1981 Canada Summer Games. Construction began in 1979 and the Complex officially opened on July 2, 1981. The Canada Summer Games took place there August 9-22, 1981. The Complex was built to host swimming, diving, and water polo at the Summer Games, but ancillary facilities were also included in the interests of the long-term viability of the Complex as a total fitness and recreation centre facility within the community. Among its amenities are a waterslide, exercise equipment, a running track, weight room, facilities for racquet sports, a restaurant, and a pro shop. In addition, the Complex offers a wide range of fitness and recreation programs and courses.

      Originally created as a separate department, the Canada Games Complex was eventually put under the purview of the Parks and Recreation Department. In 2006, the Canada Games Complex was under the auspices of the Recreation & Culture Division of the Community Services Department of the City of Thunder Bay.

      This series contains records relating to the operation of the Canada Games Complex, including policies, procedures, planning, correspondence, marketing, program development, and involvement in community fitness initiatives

      Fonds · 1911 - 1981

      Records of the Canadan Suomalainen Järjestö [Finnish Organization of Canada], Vapaus Publishing Company (responsible for publishing Vapaus and Liekki and other publications), Suomalais-Canadalaisen Amatoori Urheiluliiton [Finnish-Canadian Amateur Sports Federation], co-operatives, and more.

      Includes meeting minutes, reports, financial statements, and correspondence related to the operations and administration of these organizations. Also includes a variety of document and pamphlets related to socialism, communism, and the peace movement in Canada and worldwide.

      The Canadan Suomalainen Järjestö (CSJ; Finnish Organization of Canada) is the oldest nationwide Finnish cultural organization in Canada. For over a century the CSJ has been one of the main organizations for Finnish immigrants in Canada with left-wing sympathies and, in particular, those with close ties to the Communist Party of Canada. Through the early to mid 1920s, Finnish-Canadians furnished over half the membership of the Communist Party and some, like A.T. Hill (born Armas Topias Mäkinen), became leading figures in the Party. Beyond support for leftist political causes, the cooperative and labour union movements, many local CSJ branches in both rural and urban centres established halls – some 70 of which were built over the years in communities across Canada – that hosted a range of social and cultural activities including dances, theatre, athletics, music, and lectures. The CSJ is also known for its publishing activities, notably the Vapaus (Liberty) newspaper.

      The CSJ underwent several changes in its formative years related to both national and international developments. Founded in October 1911 as the Canadan Suomalainen Sosialisti Järjestö (CSSJ; Finnish Socialist Organization of Canada), the organization served as the Finnish-language affiliate of the Canadian Socialist Federation which soon after transformed into the Social Democratic Party of Canada (SDP). By 1914, the CSSJ had grown to 64 local branches and boasted a majority of the SDP membership with over 3,000 members. One year later the organization added two more local branches but membership had dropped to 1,867 members thanks, in part, to a more restrictive atmosphere due to Canada’s involvement in the First World War and an organizational split that saw the expulsion or resignation of supporters of the Industrial Workers of the World from the CSSJ.

      In September 1918, the Canadian federal government passed Order-in-Council PC 2381 and PC 2384 which listed Finnish, along with Russian and Ukrainian, as ”enemy languages” and outlawed the CSSJ along with thirteen other organizations. The CSSJ successfully appealed the ban in December 1918 but dropped ”Socialist” from its name. The organization operated under the name Canadan Suomalainen Järjestö until December 1919. The SDP, however, did not recover from the outlawing of its foreign-language sections, leaving the CSJ without a political home. Stepping into this organizational vacuum was the One Big Union of Canada (OBU), founded in June 1919. The CSJ briefly threw its support behind this new labour union initiative, functioning as an independent ”propaganda organization of the OBU” until internal debates surrounding the structure of the Lumber Workers Industrial Union affiliate and the OBU decision not to join to the Moscow-headquartered Comintern led to its withdrawal shortly thereafter. In 1924, CSSJ activists including A.T. Hill helped to found the Lumber Workers Industrial Union of Canada (LWIUC).

      Inspired by the Bolshevik Revolution that toppled the Tsarist Russian Empire in November 1917, and following the founding of the Communist Party of Canada (CPC) as an underground organization in May 1921, the CSSJ rapidly became an integral part of the nascent Communist movement in Canada. Reflecting this change, in 1922 the organization was renamed the Canadan Työläispuolueen Suomalainen Sosialistilärjestö (FS/WPC; Finnish Socialist Section of the Workers’ Party of Canada) – the Workers’ Party of Canada being the legal front organization of the CPC. In 1923, Finnish-Canadian Communists formed a separate cultural organization, the Canadan Suomalainen Järjestö (CSJ; Finnish Organization of Canada Inc.), to serve as a kind of ”holding company” ensuring that the organization’s considerable properties and assets would be safe from confiscation by the government or capture from rival left-wing groups. With the legalization of the CPC in 1924, the FS/WPC became the Canadan Kommunistipuolueen Suomalainen Järjestö (FS/CP; Finnish section of the Communist Party of Canada). Between 1922 and 1925, membership in the CSJ through its various transitions also doubled as membership in the Communist Party. This arrangement ended in 1925 when the FS/CP was disbanded following the ”bolshevization” directives of the Comintern. These directives demanded that separate ethnic organizations in North America be dissolved in favour of more disciplined and centralized party cells. It was hoped that this reorganization would help attract new members outside of the various Finnish, Ukrainian, and Jewish ethnic enclaves that had furnished the bulk of the CPC dues paying membership in Canada. From this point onwards, the CSJ officially functioned as a cultural organization but maintained a close, albeit sometimes strained, association with the CPC. The 1930s represent the peak of the CSJ size and influence, occuring during the Third Period and Popular Front eras of the international Communist movement. During this period CSJ union organizers assisted in the creation of the Lumber and Sawmill Workers Union – a unit of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of the American Federation of Labor, successor to the LWIUC – and the reemergence of the International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers in Sudbury and Kirkland Lake. CSJ activists also helped to recruit volunteers for the International Brigades that fought against nationalist and fascist forces in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). Finally, in the 1930s some 3,000 CSJ members or sympathizers embarked on the journey from Canada to the Soviet Union to help in the efforts to industrialize the Karelian Autonomous Soviet. Hundreds of Finns in Karelia would later perish in Stalin’s purges.

      Despite the CSJ’s active support for the Canadian war effort, the organization was still deemed to be a threat to national security by the federal government and again outlawed in 1940. All FOC properties were seized and closed. The Suomalais Canadalaisten Demokraattien Liitto (SCDL; Finnish-Canadian Democratic League) served as the FOC’s main legal surrogate until the organization was legalized in 1943. The rapid decline of the FOC following this period is apparent from the fact that of the 75 locals in operation in 1936, only 36 remained active in 1950.

      Further reading:
      Edward W. Laine (edited by Auvo Kostianen), A Century of Strife: The Finnish Organization of Canada, 1901-2001 (Turku: Migration Institute of Finland), 2016.
      Arja Pilli, The Finnish-Language Press in Canada, 1901-1939: A Study of Ethnic Journalism (Turku: Institute of Migration), 1982.
      William Eklund, Builders of Canada: History of the Finnish Organization of Canada, 1911-1971 (Toronto: Finnish Organization of Canada), 1987.

      Canadan Uutiset fonds
      Fonds · 1935 - 1975

      The correspondence, receipts, newspaper clippings, and several articles of the Canadan Uutiset, a Finnish-language newspaper based in Thunder Bay.

      CA ON00318 B 40 · Fonds · 1953-1997

      The Canadian Auto Worker Local #1075 fonds are composed of eleven series which contain: minute books, member records, safety files, legal files, agreements, correspondence, and financial records that document the activities of both the local #1075 division of the Canadian Auto Workers Associaiton operating at Can-Car and its members.

      Canadian Auto Worker Local #1075
      Collection · 1857-2011

      This collection consists of yearbooks; annual reports; newsletters, handbooks; prize lists; constitutions and by-laws; board of director information; lists of presidents; correspondence; a newspaper clipping; programmes; show announcements; booklets; emblems; publications; hand-written notes; a petition; rules and regulations; proceedings of an annual convention; show books; bulletins; pamphlets; articles; a presentation; and member lists.