Title and statement of responsibility area
Thomas Bradburn fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00226 MG 1-212 A
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
6 architectural drawings on linen
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Thomas Bradburn was a local land holder and businessman who commissioned John E. Belcher to built the Bradburn Opera House, which opened in 1876. It was a white brick, four storey building containing an arcade, stores, municipal offices, council chamber, a large public hall and a turret with four faced town clock. The building was demolished in 1974 for the Peterborough Square development. John E. Belcher (b. 1834) was an architect, civil engineer, and surveyor. Born in Cork, Ireland, Belcher arrived in Peterborough in 1869 and opened a architectural firm that spanned almost forty years. Belcher designed countless fine homes and summer cottages throughout the region. Belcher will also be remembered for the commercial and public buildings he designed. In addition to the Market Hall and Clock Tower, he designed several other important local landmarks. For several decades Belcher was county engineer. In the early 1890's he was appointed town engineer for Peterborough.
Name of creator
John Belcher was an architect, civil engineer, and surveyor who lived in the Peterborough, Ontario, region at the turn of the century. He was involved in the construction of the Chemong Causeway, the Peterborough Public Library, the Wallis memorial in St. John's Church, the Canadian General Electric Company and the Anglican Christ Church in Bobcaygeon, Ontario.
Fonds was in the possession of the Bradburn family prior to donation to PCMA via Martha Kidd (serving as agent).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of a series of architectural drawings on linen of the "Proposed Town Hall and Opera House, Peterborough" (later Bradburn Opera House), rendered by Peterborough architect, John E. Belcher in 1872. These drawings are highlighted with a watercolour wash. They show elevations, cross-sections and floor plans.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accruals are possible.
Robert Fairfield writes in the book, 'Early Stages: Theatre in Ontario, 1800-1914' that: "these splendid drawings now in the Collection of the Peterborough Centennial Museum make up by far the oldest complete set of such documents so far discovered in Ontario, and very possibly in the whole of Canada" (1990).
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Bradburn Opera House (Subject)