Fundo WCH-D - Strategic Communications fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

Strategic Communications fonds

Designação geral do material

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

Nível de descrição

Fundo

Código de referência

CA ON00365 WCH-D

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1961-2017 (Produção)
    Produtor
    Women's College Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

8.2 m of textual records
38 scrapbooks
65 photographs
ca. 2000 slides
45 audio reels
10 45 RPM vinyl records
4 78 RPM vinyl records
103 audio cassettes
1 CD
325 video cassettes: VHS
6 video cassettes: U-Matic
32 video cassettes: Betacam
2 videocassettes: Sony DVCAM
92 DVDs
7 film reels: 16 mm
2 film reels: Sony Video Tape V-32
2 digital film reels
4 CD-ROMs
29 posters
3 buttons

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1911-)

História administrativa

Women's College Hospital, located in downtown Toronto, was the first hospital in Canada to offer affordable medical care exclusively to women, by women physicians.

Women's College Hospital grew out of the Woman's Medical College. Established in 1883 by Dr. Emily Stowe, Women's Medical College offered medical education to women. In 1894, Woman's Medical College amalgamated with Kingston Women's Medical College and changed its name to the Ontario Medical College for Women. In order for students to gain practical clinical experience, a clinic called the Dispensary was opened on Sackville Street in 1898.

When the University of Toronto began admitting women to its Faculty of Medicine in 1905, the Ontario Medical College for Women closed its doors. However, the Dispensary remained open, offering medical service from women physicians to women who did not otherwise have access to affordable health care. In 1908, the Dispensary moved to the corner of Parliament and Queen and operated as an out-patient clinic.

In 1909, a group of prominent women in Toronto formed the Women's College Hospital Committee. The committee decided that a hospital must be built and they arranged for the amalgamation with the Dispensary. The new hospital opened at 18 Seaton Street in 1911. In 1913, the hospital was officially incorporated and named the Women's College Hospital and Dispensary. The name was changed to Women's College Hospital in 1924.

In 1915, the Women's College Hospital moved to 125 Rusholme Road. The Rusholme hospital had nine wards and a four-room dispensary, and could accommodate twenty-five adult beds and 10 infant cots. In 1935, Women's College Hospital moved again, this time into its current location at 76 Grenville Street.

Women's College Hospital is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto: the hospital was granted status as a university teaching hospital in 1961. Full accreditation as a general hospital was also granted in 1961.

Women's College Hospital is well-known for its numerous "firsts" in the field of women's health. These firsts include the Cancer Detection Clinic, which opened in 1948 – at the time, screening healthy women for cancer was unheard of. In 1963, Women's College Hospital also became the first hospital in Ontario to use mammography to screen for breast cancer. Other firsts include: the first Perinatal Intensive Care Unit in Canada, opened in 1971; the Bay Centre for Birth Control, the first hospital-supported walk-in centre, opened in 1973; the Psoriasis Education and Research Centre, the first centre in Canada to place emphasis on self-care treatment, opened in 1976; the first regional Sexual Assault Care Centre in Ontario, opened in 1984; and the Brief Psychotherapy Centre for Women, the first hospital-based therapy program in Canada, opened in 1987.

In June 1998, Women's College Hospital amalgamated with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre to form Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Sciences Centre. In 1999, the Women's College Hospital was renamed the Women's College Ambulatory Care Centre through a joint agreement between Women's College and Sunnybrook.

On April 1, 2006, Women's College Hospital and Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre de-amalgamated and began operating independently under the Public Hospitals Act.

In 2010, Women's College Hospital began construction on a new state-of-the-art building. The new building was completed in 2015.

Throughout its history, Women's College Hospital has maintained a focus on women's health-care needs. In 1995, Women's College Hospital was designated as a national historic site by Parks Canada, as a site of national importance in women's history. Today, Women's College Hospital is the first and only independent ambulatory care hospital in Ontario, and the only hospital in Ontario with a primary focus on women's health.

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

The fonds contains the records of Strategic Communications (formerly the Public Relations Department) of Women’s College Hospital dating from 1920-2017.

The fonds consists of hospital newsletters, press releases, photographs, slides, speeches, patient handbooks and brochures, newspaper clippings, posters, scripts, working files, subject files, biographical files, histories of the hospital, promotional material, hospital floor plans, special event material, video recordings of hospital events and audio recordings that were created as part of a hospital-wide oral history project in 1982.

The fonds also contains a series of scrapbooks created by hospital’s public relations and maintained from 1923-1978. The scrapbooks include newspaper clippings, invitations, programs and photographs.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

Organização

Idioma do material

Script do material

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

Please contact the Archivist for information about access restrictions for this fonds.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Instrumentos de descrição

Finding aids are available upon request.

Materiais associados

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Idioma da descrição

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Locais relacionados

Géneros relacionados