Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Thomas the Apostle Church (Anglican), Ottawa, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 H4&6.O.1 S22&16 06 09&65 O-19
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.2 m of textual records 9 architectural drawings 6 photographs : b&w and col. Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The congregation of St. Thomas' dates from 1925 and originally met in the Ellwood schoolhouse. In 1927 they were given a site for a church previously donated to the congregation of Holy Trinity Church, Ottawa by Mr. J. J. Smythe. The material from the old Trinity Church, built in 1876, was given to Ellwood for the construction of their church. Bishop John Charles Roper dedicated St. Thomas the Apostle, Ellwood on May 11, 1930. A rectory was purchased by 1953. During 1955, it was decided that the old church had become too small and a new church building was needed. The cornerstone for the second St. Thomas' was laid by Bishop Ernest Samuel Reed on May 6, 1957 and on September 22nd of that year, the last service in the old church was held. St. Thomas', Alta Vista was dedicated on September 24, 1957. The old St. Thomas' was sold in 1958 and the first anniversary of the dedication of the new church was observed. A new Christian Education Wing was built and dedicated in 1965, into which the foundation stone of the old St. Thomas' Church, bearing the date 1929, was incorporated. Bishop William James Robinson consecrated St. Thomas the Apostle, Ottawa on September 17, 1975.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Thomas the Apostle congregation in Ottawa, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1945-1991, vestry records, 1957-1993, service registers, 1955-1977, records of committees and organizations including parish council, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, service bulletins, newsclippings, newsletters, special collections, architectural drawings, and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Thomas the Apostle, Ottawa.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. Architectural records finding aid. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Half of the photographs are encapsulated.