Fonds 6P M3&51 M5 - St. Stephen's Church (Anglican), Micksburg, Ontario fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Stephen's Church (Anglican), Micksburg, Ontario fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00006 6P M3&51 M5

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1872-2000 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

14 cm of textual records 10 photographs : b&w and col. Service registers fragile.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St. Stephen's, Micksburg was the first Anglican church in Renfrew County to be built, winning the congregation a set of Communion Vessels; however, there was a controversy when construction began in 1858. The farmers wanted the building set square with the survey lines, but the Rev. William Henderson refused to bless the church unless it was set traditionally with the door in the west and the altar in the east. The following year, the farmers jacked up the church and swung it around to the position they wanted. A new stone church was built under the leadership of the Rev. R. James Harvey (1879-1887) to replace the old log building. This church building was eventually outgrown and a cement block structure was erected in 1907. The new St. Stephen's, Micksburg was heavily damaged by an acetylene gas explosion in 1909, but by the next year it had been reconstructed. The church was consecrated by Bishop Charles Hamilton on May 5, 1912. By 1999, repairs had been made to the church. St. Stephen's is part of the three point parish of Stafford.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Stephen's congregation in Micksburg, Ontario. It includes vestry records, 1934-2000, service registers, 1916-1943, records of committees and organizations, property records, special services and events material, historiography, a guest book, newsclippings, lists of parishioners, and photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Stephen's, Micksburg.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.

Finding aids

Index for parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Most photographs are encapsulated.

General note

Parish history published in 1997.

General note

The parish registers for this congregation are with the Parish of Stafford.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres