Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Paul's Church (Anglican), Almonte, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 A453&2 S2375&6L A1&51 A2
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
57 cm of textual records 11 photographs : b&w and col. Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
As early as 1843, services were held in the Temperance Hall in Almonte by the Rev. Dr. Boswell. St. Paul's was built in 1863, the cornerstone being laid by Dr. Mostyn, the mayor, on June 15, 1863. The land and most of the money to clear the church of debt were donated by Mr. James Rosamond and his wife, Margaret. St. Paul's Church, Almonte opened on Easter Day, 1864 and was consecrated by Bishop J. Travers Lewis on June 29th of the same year. The stone rectory was built in the 1870's. Between 1886 and 1889, the church was enlarged. In 1887, the transepts were added to the church. Bishop Charles Hamilton consecrated the addition to the cemetery in 1903. The basement of the church was renovated in 1951 and dubbed the parish hall. The centenary of St. Paul's was celebrated on June 16, 1963. The church building was given heritage designation in September of 1987.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Paul's congregation in Almonte, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1863-2001, vestry records, 1862-1993, service registers, 1924-1992, records of committees and organizations, financial records, property records, special services and events material, historiography, newsclippings, lists of parishioners, newsletters, and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Paul's, Almonte.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
The 1994-2001 parish register is a photocopy.
Most photographs are encapsulated. Bound photocopy of 1863-1883 parish register on acid-free paper.
The original 1994-2001 parish register is still in use in the parish.
Parish history published c1963.