Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Paul's Anglican Church (Essex, Ont.)
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00004 PREG 264--267
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
.84 m of textuual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Anglican Church services were first held in the hamlet of Essex Centre. Prior to the construction of St. Paul's, Anglican services led by the Rev. Arthur Grassett-Smith were held in the Temperance Hall on Talbot Street. Rev. Grassett-Smith was at that time a theology student assigned to the parish of Leamington and North Ridge (Trinity Church). (North Ridge was later named Cottam.) He would become the first Incumbent of St. Paul's, remaining in charge of the parish until October 1884. The gothic style, red brick church, designed and built by Mrs. Alex Laing, had a seating capacity of 150 persons. A variety of societies and clubs were organized for youths, men and women, including a branch of the Women's Auxiliary -- the first organized group of women in Canada. Of these, only the Sunday School and the Anglican Church Women are in operation.
The St. Paul's Anglican Church records are on deposit at the Huron Archives at Huron College, Univeristy of Western Ontario. The accession date is Jul 26, 1994 and nothing more has since been added to the original two boxes of records.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of just under a metre (.84 m.) of textual records and artifacts, and spans the years 1884 to 1994(?). There are 23 minute books, 7 parish registers, 4 ledgers, several financial and annual reports and some artifacts pertaining to the various clubs and societies of the Church. The registers include names and dats of baptisms, confirmations, marriages and funerals as well as membership lists. Minute books record the proceedings of the meetings of the Board of Management and the Vestry, as well as the various clubs and socieities, including the Anglican Church Women -- an amalgamation of the Women's Auxiliary and the Women's Guild; the Women's Aid; the Mothers; Union -- formerely the Mothers' Meeting; the Anglican Young People's Association; the Girl's Auxiliary -- formerly the Junior Women's Association; the Men's Breakfast Club; and the Paulettes of St. Paul's. Seven artifacts pertain to these clubs. In addition, one unlabelled, unidentified ledger for the years 1955-1963 and one Vestry Minute Book from Trinity Church dated 1925-1955 were found among the items belonging to St. Paul's Anglican Church. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Board of Management Meetings, 1954--1980 Vestry Meetings, 1925--1954 Parish Registers, 1882--1954 Women's Aid, 1910(?)--1913 Mothers' Union (formerly the Mothers' Meeting), 1935--1953 Women's Auxiliary (formerly the Fortnightly Club) 1948--1965 Women's Guild, 1950--1964 A.C.W. (Anglican Church Women), 1970--1976 Paulettes of St. Paul's, 1972 A.Y.P.A. (Anglican Young People's Association), 1931--1966(?) Girls' Auxiliary (formerly the Junior Women's Association), 1943--1966(?) Men's Breakfast Club, 1956--1985 Artifacts
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm avaliable of parish registers -- Gosfield and North Ridge 1839-1886; North Ridge and St. Paul's Essex 1885-1982.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
There is a pamphlet entitled "St. Paul's Anglican Church, 1882-1982" prepared by St. Paul's Centennial Committee available at the Diocese of Huron Archives.
Further accruals are expected.
Signed, written requests for information are to be submitted to the archivist. Research may be conducted on-site.