Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Matthias' Church (Anglican), Ottawa, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 6.O.2 S16&16 08 02&51 O-16&65 O20
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.4 m of textual records 38 photographs : b&w and col. 10 architectural drawings Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Early in 1888, the decision was made to establish an Anglican church in the village of Hintonburgh. Services were held in Byers' Hotel until 1889 when services were moved to Wilson's Hall to accommodate the growing congregation. The cornerstone for St. Matthias', Hintonburgh was laid by Mr. John Bishop on November 1, 1890 and the church was built soon after. By 1905, the congregation had increased and improvements had been made on the church. A new Memorial Hall was opened by Governor General Lord Byng of Vimy on October 19, 1921. By 1939, the congregation had outgrown the old church and a new St. Matthias' was built at a new site. The final service in the old church was held on October 29, 1939 and the old church was sold to the Agudath Israel Congregation that year. The cornerstone of the new church was laid by Archbishop Roper and the first service was held on November 5, 1939. Services were held in the unfinished church until arrangements could be made to finish the structure in 1948 at which time services were moved to the Elmdale Theatre for several months. St. Matthias', Ottawa was dedicated by Bishop Robert Jefferson on November 2, 1949. A rectory was built three years later and the church was consecrated on October 18, 1970 by Bishop William J. Robinson.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Matthias' congregation in Ottawa, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1888-1983, vestry records, 1891-2001, service registers, 1904-1992, records of committees and organizations, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, service bulletins, newsclippings, a list of parishioners, newsletters, photographs, and architectural drawings.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Matthias', Ottawa.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. Architectural records finding aid. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Most of the photographs are encapsulated. Bound photocopies of 1888-1920 and 1920-1932 parish registers on acid-free paper.
Parish history published in 1986.