Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Matthew's Church (Anglican), Ottawa, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 6.O.1 S15&16 06 01&51 O8 57 O4&65 O-11
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
5.2 m of textual records 66 photographs : b&w and col. 50 architectural drawings 18 negatives : b&w 4 postcards : b&w 3 drawings : col. 1 album Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first service of the congregation of St. Matthew's was held on January 8, 1898 in Moreland's Hall. A new wooden church was built and the first service in St. Matthew's Church, Ottawa was held on July 17, 1898. The church was enlarged and dedicated on July 17, 1903 and then again on September 22, 1908. By 1925, the congregation had outgrown their church and required a new building. On July 6th of 1929, Bishop John Charles Roper laid the foundation stone and then opened and dedicated the new St. Matthew's on December 21, 1930. The parish hall was built at this time (renamed Jefferson Hall in 1954). The rectory was repaired by 1941. St. Matthew's, Ottawa was consecrated by Bishop Ernest Samuel Reed on January 25, 1962. In January of 1998, the 100th anniversary of St. Matthew's first service was held. At this time, Jefferson Hall was sold and the church basement was converted into a hall.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Matthew's congregation in Ottawa, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1898-1988, vestry records, 1898-2001, service registers, 1901-1991, records of committees and organizations including parish council, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, guest books, service bulletins, newsclippings, lists of parishioners, newsletters, special collections, scrapbooks, other information materials, photographs, architectural drawings, negatives, postcards, drawings, and an album.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Matthews, Ottawa.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. Architectural records finding aid. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Most photographs, negatives, and postcards encapsulated. Bound photocopies of 1898-1914 and 1914-1927 parish registers on acid-free paper.