Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Matthew's Church (Anglican), North Onslow, Quebec fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
7 cm of textual records Service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The construction of St. Matthew's Church, North Onslow began in 1865 under the direction of the Rev. Francis Braithwaite and was completed two years later. The first Divine service was held on April 7, 1867. Plans were made in 1894 to replace the old St. Matthew's Church as it was decaying. A brick veneer building was erected in that year and consecrated in 1895. Premature in becoming self-supporting, St. Matthew's lost its independent status in 1906 and was placed back on the Mission Fund with the status of Parish. In 1956, North Onslow was listed as having only twelve persons in the mission and it is probable that the church was closed soon after. St. Matthew's, North Onslow was deconsecrated by the Rev. Edmund N. McColl and the building was demolished in 1958.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Matthew's congregation in North Onslow, Quebec. It includes vestry record, 1851-1965, service registers, 1892-1938, financial records, property records, and historiography.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Matthew's, North Onslow.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index for parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
No further accruals are expected.
Parish history in "The Church in Clarendon" by W. H. Naylor, published in 1919.
The parish registers for this congregation are with the Parish of Aylmer.