St. Matthew's Anglican Church (Ottawa, Ont.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Matthew's Anglican Church (Ottawa, Ont.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The first service of the congregation of St. Matthew's was held on January 8, 1898 in Moreland's Hall. A new wooden church was built and the first service in St. Matthew's Church, Ottawa was held on July 17, 1898. The church was enlarged and dedicated on July 17, 1903 and then again on September 22, 1908. By 1925, the congregation had outgrown their church and required a new building. On July 6th of 1929, Bishop John Charles Roper laid the foundation stone and then opened and dedicated the new St. Matthew's on December 21, 1930. The parish hall was built at this time (renamed Jefferson Hall in 1954). The rectory was repaired by 1941. St. Matthew's, Ottawa was consecrated by Bishop Ernest Samuel Reed on January 25, 1962. In January of 1998, the 100th anniversary of St. Matthew's first service was held. At this time, Jefferson Hall was sold and the church basement was converted into a hall.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places