Fonds 6A N& 51 M14 - St. Mary's Church (Anglican), North March, Ontario fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Mary's Church (Anglican), North March, Ontario fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA ON00006 6A N& 51 M14

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1838-1986 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

28 cm of textual records 5 photographs : b&w and col. Service registers fragile.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Services in March have been held since about 1820 in a log house converted into a church. The original St. Mary's was built between 1826 and 1828 using money and land donated by Mr. Hamnett Pinhey. The first service in this church was held on October 7, 1828 and the building was consecrated in 1834. A stone parsonage was built for St. Mary's by 1883. Bishop J. Travers Lewis consecrated an addition to the burial ground on October 21, 1893. Space became limited at St. Mary's and due to safety considerations, services were held in the Orange Hall during planning and erection of a new church in 1909. The old church was destroyed and the land within the remaining walls was used as a burial ground. Bishop John Charles Roper consecrated the new St. Mary's, North March on July 14, 1919. The 50th anniversary of the new stone church was celebrated on October 25, 1959 and the 150th anniversary of the original St. Mary's was held in March of 1978. In 1973, the old church and graveyard were sold to March Township. The parish of March includes St. Mary's, North March, St. John's, South March, and St. Paul's, Dunrobin.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Mary's congregation in North March, Ontario. It includes vestry records, 1858-1899, service registers, 1944-1975, records of committees and organizations, financial records, property records, special services and events material, historiography, newsclippings, and photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Mary's, North March.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.

Finding aids

Index for parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"

Associated materials

Related materials


Further accruals are expected.

General note

One photograph is encapsulated.

General note

The parish registers for this congregation are with the Parish of March.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres