Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Mary's Church (Anglican), North March, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
28 cm of textual records 5 photographs : b&w and col. Service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Services in March have been held since about 1820 in a log house converted into a church. The original St. Mary's was built between 1826 and 1828 using money and land donated by Mr. Hamnett Pinhey. The first service in this church was held on October 7, 1828 and the building was consecrated in 1834. A stone parsonage was built for St. Mary's by 1883. Bishop J. Travers Lewis consecrated an addition to the burial ground on October 21, 1893. Space became limited at St. Mary's and due to safety considerations, services were held in the Orange Hall during planning and erection of a new church in 1909. The old church was destroyed and the land within the remaining walls was used as a burial ground. Bishop John Charles Roper consecrated the new St. Mary's, North March on July 14, 1919. The 50th anniversary of the new stone church was celebrated on October 25, 1959 and the 150th anniversary of the original St. Mary's was held in March of 1978. In 1973, the old church and graveyard were sold to March Township. The parish of March includes St. Mary's, North March, St. John's, South March, and St. Paul's, Dunrobin.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Mary's congregation in North March, Ontario. It includes vestry records, 1858-1899, service registers, 1944-1975, records of committees and organizations, financial records, property records, special services and events material, historiography, newsclippings, and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Mary's, North March.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index for parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
One photograph is encapsulated.
The parish registers for this congregation are with the Parish of March.