Fonds F 0099 - St. Mary's Anglican Church (Walkerville) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Mary's Anglican Church (Walkerville) fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00354 F 0099

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • ca. 1870-2009; predominantly 20th c. (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

5.4 m textual records
151 architectural plans
790 print photographs (col; b&w)
3 heliotypes
2 halftone reproductions
1 lithograph
139 film slides (col.)
61 glass slides (b&w)
25 printer's block images
37 drawings and sketches
1 watercolour

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(ca. 1902 - present)

Administrative history

St. Mary’s Anglican Church (Walkerville) was established around the turn of the 20th century to serve the spiritual needs of workers in Hiram Walker’s company town of Walkerville, replacing an earlier Methodist congregation established by Hiram Walker. The congregation initially met in the former Methodist church building on Riverside Drive, but by 1902 the growing congregation need a larger gathering place. Three of the Walker heirs (Edward Chandler Walker, Franklin Hiram Walker, and James Harrington Walker) commissioned a new church building on Devonshire Road, north of Niagara Street, in memory of their parents Hiram and Mary. Built in the 16th century Gothic style, St. Mary’s was designed to architecturally harmonize with adjacent Willistead Manor (home to some of the Walker family), in a geographic and visual relationship evocative of old English parish churches and manor houses. The cornerstone was laid in 1903 and the building consecrated by the Bishop of Huron in 1904. The St. Mary’s congregation continues to worship in this building (expanded and updated in later years) as of 2023, and has hosted innumerable services of worship, undertaken outreach efforts including the St. Mary’s Food Cupboard, and brought members of the parish together in a variety of functional or social committees, clubs, and auxiliaries over the years.

Sources: “St. Mary’s Church: History,” St. Mary’s Anglican Church, Walkerville, webpage, https://st-marys-anglican-church-walkerville.yolasite.com/; Elaine Weeks, “St. Mary’s Church: Hiram Walker’s Spiritual Legacy,” Walkerville Times Magazine [ca. 1999], www.walkervilletimes.com/st-marys.htm (both accessed 10 February 2023).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains records charting the institutional life and physical premises of St. Mary’s Anglican Church in the Town of Walkerville / Walkerville neighbourhood of Windsor. Series I – Paper Files is not formally arranged into sub-series, but significant record-creating groups or genres of material are grouped together in the file order. These include: church wardens, board of management/vestry, financial records, various church committees, women’s groups, men’s groups, youth groups, orders of service (bulletins), special events, church visitors and staff, as well as the building, its contents, its churchyard and cemetery (including sketches and architectural plans). Of note are a small number of records relating to the church’s relationship to the family of Walkerville founder Hiram Walker, and rich records of social and service groups for men, women, children, and youth. Series II – Photographs was originally arranged separately from the paper files. Its previous arrangement and description has been retained here; the images capture elements of the congregational activities and physical premises documented in the paper files.

The fonds does not contain parish records of births, deaths, marriages, or baptisms.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      none

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Consult Anglican Church Diocese of Huron Archives for use, reproduction, and publication permissions.

      Finding aids

      A PDF finding aid is available in our archival database: https://uwinarchives.accesstomemory.org/st-marys-anglican-church-walkerville-fonds

      Associated materials

      Related materials

      Accruals

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Name access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      Rules or conventions

      Status

      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Language of description

        Script of description

          Sources

          Accession area