St. Mary's Anglican Church (North March, Ont.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Mary's Anglican Church (North March, Ont.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Services in March have been held since about 1820 in a log house converted into a church. The original St. Mary's was built between 1826 and 1828 using money and land donated by Mr. Hamnett Pinhey. The first service in this church was held on October 7, 1828 and the building was consecrated in 1834. A stone parsonage was built for St. Mary's by 1883. Bishop J. Travers Lewis consecrated an addition to the burial ground on October 21, 1893. Space became limited at St. Mary's and due to safety considerations, services were held in the Orange Hall during planning and erection of a new church in 1909. The old church was destroyed and the land within the remaining walls was used as a burial ground. Bishop John Charles Roper consecrated the new St. Mary's, North March on July 14, 1919. The 50th anniversary of the new stone church was celebrated on October 25, 1959 and the 150th anniversary of the original St. Mary's was held in March of 1978. In 1973, the old church and graveyard were sold to March Township. The parish of March includes St. Mary's, North March, St. John's, South March, and St. Paul's, Dunrobin.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places