Fonds F06 - St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont. fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont. fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper:

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00279 F06

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1890-2009 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont.

Physical description area

Physical description

52.5 cm of textual records
177 photographs : b&w
122 photographs : col.
1 scrapbook (5 photographs : b&w ; 4 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 scrapbook (22 photographs : b&w ; 24 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 scrapbook (15 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 scrapbook (1 photograph : b&w ; 32 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 scrapbook (30 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 photograph album ; 29 x 25.5 cm
1 drawing: pen and coloured pencil on paper; 24 cm x 38 cm
1 drawing: black ink on paper ; 12 x 16 cm
1 postcard : b&w
1 postcard: col.
1 poster : 33 x 29 cm
1 certificate : 1 seal, ribbon ; 43 x 36 cm
1 photograph (drymounted) : b&w; 19 x 27 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1890-1993)

Administrative history

In 1890 a meeting was held between Reverend Paul O.F.M of St. Joseph’s Parish Chatham, Reverend Mother Ignatia Campbell, and Mother Aloysia Nigh, along with some of the prominent doctors of Chatham. They decided that the community was in need of a hospital and the sisters agreed to run it. A boarding house, formerly the Salvation Army Barracks, was leased until funds could be secured for a new hospital to be built. The hospital was officially opened in its temporary quarters on October 15, 1890 with Mother Aloysia as its head, assisted by Sisters Francis and Martha. Construction began at the hospital’s long-time site of 519 King Street West on the Thames River with the laying of the cornerstone in 1891. Construction was completed in 1892. Over the years, wings were added onto the hospital to accommodate the growing community of Chatham and, therefore, the growing demand for hospital services.

In 1972, the amalgamation of services occurred between St. Joseph’s Hospital and Public General Hospital as ordered by the Ministry of Health for financial reasons. Legislative changes, increasing government control, and the decline of Sisters in the health care field led to the gradual withdrawal of the Sisters from the hospital. The last year that a sister was a hospital administrator was in 1984. In 1992, the Sisters withdrew from residence at the hospital, and in 1993 the ownership of the hospital was changed over to the St. Joseph’s Health Care Society. The hospital is now Riverview Gardens, a long-term care facility.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of essays, annals, a memoire, correspondence, memos, minutes, reports, financial papers, newspapers, newspaper clippings, photographs, drawings, floor plans, fact sheets, orientation booklets, bylaws, yearbooks, speeches, programmes, invitations, cards, newsletters, posters, flyers, press releases, membership roll, and certificates.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records were transferred from the Sisters in Chatham to the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada - London site archives. Some of the records were donated by former nurses.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • англійська

Script of material

Location of originals

The records are located at the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada - London site archives.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

F06-S002 Correspondence and F06-S006-03 Crisis Fund Campaign 1972 are restricted to the public.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

There is a series and file list.

Associated materials

Accruals

The fonds is considered closed.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Revised

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

June 25, 2014
Oct 30, 2018
June 13, 2019

Language of description

  • англійська

Script of description

Sources

A. Doyle (ed.) and J. Williams (ed.), St. Joseph's Hospital 1890-1990: Share the Journey, Chatham, Ontario, 1989.

G. J. Humbert (ed.), A Compendium of the Catholic Health Association of Canada, 2011.

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area