Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont.
Physical description area
177 photographs : b&w
122 photographs : col.
1 scrapbook (5 photographs : b&w ; 4 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 scrapbook (22 photographs : b&w ; 24 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 scrapbook (15 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 scrapbook (1 photograph : b&w ; 32 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 scrapbook (30 photographs : col.) ; 28 x 21.7 cm
1 photograph album ; 29 x 25.5 cm
1 drawing: pen and coloured pencil on paper; 24 cm x 38 cm
1 drawing: black ink on paper ; 12 x 16 cm
1 postcard : b&w
1 postcard: col.
1 poster : 33 x 29 cm
1 certificate : 1 seal, ribbon ; 43 x 36 cm
1 photograph (drymounted) : b&w; 19 x 27 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1890 a meeting was held between Reverend Paul O.F.M of St. Joseph’s Parish Chatham, Reverend Mother Ignatia Campbell, and Mother Aloysia Nigh, along with some of the prominent doctors of Chatham. They decided that the community was in need of a hospital and the sisters agreed to run it. A boarding house, formerly the Salvation Army Barracks, was leased until funds could be secured for a new hospital to be built. The hospital was officially opened in its temporary quarters on October 15, 1890 with Mother Aloysia as its head, assisted by Sisters Francis and Martha. Construction began at the hospital’s long-time site of 519 King Street West on the Thames River with the laying of the cornerstone in 1891. Construction was completed in 1892. Over the years, wings were added onto the hospital to accommodate the growing community of Chatham and, therefore, the growing demand for hospital services.
In 1972, the amalgamation of services occurred between St. Joseph’s Hospital and Public General Hospital as ordered by the Ministry of Health for financial reasons. Legislative changes, increasing government control, and the decline of Sisters in the health care field led to the gradual withdrawal of the Sisters from the hospital. The last year that a sister was a hospital administrator was in 1984. In 1992, the Sisters withdrew from residence at the hospital, and in 1993 the ownership of the hospital was changed over to the St. Joseph’s Health Care Society. The hospital is now Riverview Gardens, a long-term care facility.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Oct 30, 2018
June 13, 2019
Language of description
Script of description
A. Doyle (ed.) and J. Williams (ed.), St. Joseph's Hospital 1890-1990: Share the Journey, Chatham, Ontario, 1989.
G. J. Humbert (ed.), A Compendium of the Catholic Health Association of Canada, 2011.