St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont.

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont.

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1890-1993

History

In 1890 a meeting was held between Reverend Paul O.F.M of St. Joseph’s Parish Chatham, Reverend Mother Ignatia Campbell, and Mother Aloysia Nigh, along with some of the prominent doctors of Chatham. They decided that the community was in need of a hospital and the sisters agreed to run it. A boarding house, formerly the Salvation Army Barracks, was leased until funds could be secured for a new hospital to be built. The hospital was officially opened in its temporary quarters on October 15, 1890 with Mother Aloysia as its head, assisted by Sisters Francis and Martha. Construction began at the hospital’s long-time site of 519 King Street West on the Thames River with the laying of the cornerstone in 1891. Construction was completed in 1892. Over the years, wings were added onto the hospital to accommodate the growing community of Chatham and, therefore, the growing demand for hospital services.

In 1972, the amalgamation of services occurred between St. Joseph’s Hospital and Public General Hospital as ordered by the Ministry of Health for financial reasons. Legislative changes, increasing government control, and the decline of Sisters in the health care field led to the gradual withdrawal of the Sisters from the hospital. The last year that a sister was a hospital administrator was in 1984. In 1992, the Sisters withdrew from residence at the hospital, and in 1993 the ownership of the hospital was changed over to the St. Joseph’s Health Care Society. The hospital is now Riverview Gardens, a long-term care facility.

Places

Chatham, Ontario; London, Ontario 1890-1993

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Health care

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada -- London (1868-)

Identifier of the related entity

CA-ON

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada -- London is the owner of St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont.

Dates of the relationship

1890-1993

Description of relationship

Related entity

St. Joseph's Hospital School of Nursing, Chatham, Ont. (1901-1970)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Type of relationship

St. Joseph's Hospital School of Nursing, Chatham, Ont. is the associate of St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham, Ont.

Dates of the relationship

1901-1970

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

June 25, 2014
May 6, 2015
Oct. 30, 2018
June 12, 2019

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC