Title and statement of responsibility area
St. John the Evangelist Church (Anglican), Smiths Falls, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 P365&6 L S&16 05 03&51 S4
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.6 m of textual records 14 photographs : b&w and col. 14 architectural drawings Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Services in the 1820's and 1830's were held in a log building and the parish began as an outstation of St. James', Franktown. The first St. John the Evangelist, Smiths Falls was built in 1849 on land donated by Mr. William Simpson for a church and burial ground. The church was enlarged in 1862 with the addition of the chancel and vestry, and the rectory was built in 1881. An addition to the cemetery was made in 1873. In 1893, the sanctuary and transepts were added and the church was reopened in early 1894. Nesbitt memorial Hall was built in 1910 and the basement was excavated in 1925 to modernize it. An addition to the burial ground was donated by the Town of Smiths Falls in 1940. The centenary of the church was celebrated in the autumn of 1949. Bishop Robert Jefferson dedicated the new memorial tower at St. John the Evangelist on December 3, 1950. A cross was added to the tower in 1950 and the tower was restored in 1970. The old rectory was torn down in 1979 and a new one obtained in 1986. The Link between the hall and the church was constructed in 1986. Since 1985, Smiths Falls has been a one-point parish.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. John the Evangelist congregation in Smiths Falls, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1849-1987, vestry records, 1851-1995, service registers, 1900-1996, records of committees and organizations including parish council, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, service bulletins, newsclippings, a list of parishioners, newsletters, photographs, and architectural drawings. Includes some records for Port Elmsley.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. John the Evangelist, Smiths Falls.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. Architectural records finding aid. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Most photographs are encapsulated. Bound photocopies of 1849-1857 and 1879-1902 parish registers on acid-free paper.