Title and statement of responsibility area
St. John the Evangelist Church (Anglican), Ottawa, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 6.O.1 S9&16 06 02&51 O4 52 O1&52 O2 65 O3
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
4.3 m of textual records 87 photographs : b&w and col. 31 architectural drawings 15 negatives : col. 3 artefacts Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
A building known as the Chapel of Ease, then the Bishop's Chapel was erected in 1860 on the site donated by the Duke of Newcastle for a chapel to serve Anglican soldiers stationed in Bytown. Bishop J. Travers Lewis consecrated St. John the Evangelist, Ottawa on December 6, 1874. A parsonage was built by 1891. St. John's was sold to the Dominion Government by 1907, but no location had been decided upon for the erection of a new church. The congregation continued to worship in the old building until 1912 when it was destroyed by fire. The parishes of St. John's and Grace Church, Ottawa were officially amalgamated on November 3, 1913 and the congregation of St. John's began worshipping in the old Grace Church building. Bishop Robert Jefferson dedicated the Warrior's Chapel at St. John's on February 25, 1951. The centennial of the present building was celebrated in 1991. Permission was given to sell the rectory in 2000.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. John the Evangelist congregation in Ottawa, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1870-1975, vestry records, 1876-1974, service registers, 1898-1973, records of committees and organizations including parish council, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, guest books, service bulletins, newsclippings, lists of parishioners, newsletters, special collections, other information materials, photographs, architectural drawings, negatives, a stamp, a gavel, and a plate. Includes some records for Grace Church, Ottawa.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. John the Evangelist, Ottawa.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. Architectural records finding aid. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Most photographs and negatives encapsulated.