Title and statement of responsibility area
St. James' Church (Anglican), Carp, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
20 cm of textual records 12 photographs : b&w and col. 1 architectural drawing Service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
As early as 1872, services in Carp were being held in the Orange Hall. In 1875, a rectory was built in Carp to serve the Parish of Huntley. St. James' Church was built in 1889 and consecrated by Bishop J. Travers Lewis on December 8, 1892. Land was purchased in 1919 for a cemetery which Bishop John Charles Roper consecrated on June 14, 1921. To mark the 50th anniversary of St. James' Church in 1939, the congregation decided to repair the church which had fallen into disrepair. In 1944, the old Township Hall was purchased to be used as the parish hall. The parsonage at Carp suffered from a major fire in February of 1994 with major renovations and repairs completed by June of the following year. St. James's, Carp is part of the parish of Huntley with Christ Church, 3rd Line/Huntley and St. John's, 6th Line/Huntley.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. James' congregation in Carp, Ontario. It includes vestry records, 1914-1997, service registers, 1937-2001, records of committees and organizations, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, service bulletins, newsclippings, list of parishioners, special collections, other information materials, an architectural drawing, and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. James', Carp.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index for parish records. Architectural records finding aid. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Some photographs are encapsulated.
Parish history in the 1989 Huntley Parish publication "The Best of Times".
The parish registers for this congregation are with the Parish of Huntley.