Fonds F2509 - Eglinton - St. George's United Church (Toronto, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Eglinton - St. George's United Church (Toronto, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F2509

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1996-1997 (Reproduction)
    Reproducer
    United Church of Canada Archives
    Note
    Microfilmed
  • 1889-2012 (Creation)
    Creator
    Eglinton - St. George's United Church (Toronto, Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

8.81 m of textual records
Photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1999-)

Administrative history

Eglinton-St. George's United Church was established in 1999 with the amalgamation of Eglinton United Church and St. George's United Church in the old St. George's building. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

St. George's United Church, located 35 Lytton Blvd. (Lytton & Duplex Ave.) Toronto, was established in 1925; formerly Presbyterian. In 1880, a Presbyterian mission in the Yonge and Eglinton area was opened, and Eglinton Presbyterian became a church in 1890. In 1909, a new building was opened at Yonge St. and St. Clements Ave. This building was purchased by the Toronto Public Library in 1924 and the present church was opened at Lytton. Upon joining the United Church of Canada in 1925, the congregation took on the name, St. George's. In 1999 it disbanded with the amalgamation with Eglinton United Church

Eglinton United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. In 1830, a group of trustees, including Peter Lawrence (namesake of Lawrence Avenue) purchased land at the what is now Glengrove Avenue at Yonge Street for a Methodist church. The building was not fully constructed when it was destroyed by fire in 1831. A new building was constructed between 1832 and 1834 and was known as the Brick Chapel, or Yonge Street Church. In 1857, it officially became known as Eglington Methodist Church. In 1914, a new lot was purchased at 65 Sheldrake Boulevard, east of Yonge Street, and the new church opened on December 21, 1924. It joined the United Church in 1925. It disbanded in 1999 with the amalgamation with St. George's United Church.

Custodial history

Records from 2019.053L were transferred from the Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records, including marriages, 1900-1919, of Eglinton Methodist Circuit, 1830-1925; records, including baptisms, 1897-1908, marriages, 1896-1924, of Eglinton Presbyterian Church, 1889-1925; records, including baptisms, 1904-1996, marriages, 1905-1998, burials, 1906-1998, of Eglinton United Church (includes Eglinton Methodist Circuit, Eglinton Methodist Church), 1904-1998; records, including baptisms, 1925-1998, marriages, 1924-1998, burials, 1938-1998 , of St. George's United Church (includes Eglinton Presbyterian Church), 1906-1998, records of Eglington-St. Geroge United Church, 1994-2012.

Notes area

Physical condition

Damages - requires restoration or copying

Immediate source of acquisition

Records from 2019.053L were transferred from the Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-184: positive and negative; 35 mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter- Library Loan.

Restrictions on access

Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use microfilm where available

Finding aids

Includes records of the former fonds 2692: Eglinton United Church fonds.
Index of baptisms, marriages, and burials before 1925 available in the Reading Room. See publication Davisville and Eglinton Communities (formerly Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian), Ontario Genealogical Society.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1977.709L

Accession

2000.090L

Accession

2001.078L

Accession

2009.006L/TR

Accession

2013.262L

Accession

2019.053L/TR

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

ON00340

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area