Title and statement of responsibility area
St. George's Church (Anglican), Ottawa, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 C55&6.O.1 S8&51 O-15&52 O3
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.3 m of textual records 15 photographs : b&w and col. Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Originally built as a Methodist Episcopal Church, St. George's, Ottawa was purchased in 1885. The first Anglican service in the church was held on May 31st that year. The main spire was struck by lightning twice on June 28, 1898 and set ablaze. When repaired, the decision was made to have it not extend above the original brickwork. In 1906, a parish hall was erected by the congregation. Bishop John Charles Roper consecrated St. George's, Ottawa on October 14, 1928. A rectory was purchased around 1929. In 1960, St. George's marked its 75th anniversary and the centennial was celebrated at Easter of 1985 for which major renovations to the church and parish hall were undertaken.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. George's congregation in Ottawa, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1885-1988, vestry records, 1885-1986, service registers, 1885-1986, records of committees and organizations, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, service bulletins, newsclippings, a list of parishioners, special collections, and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. George's, Ottawa.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Most photographs are encapsulated. Bound photocopy of 1885-1901 parish register on acid-free paper.
Parish history published c1985.