St. George's Anglican Church (Ottawa, Ont.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. George's Anglican Church (Ottawa, Ont.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Originally built as a Methodist Episcopal Church, St. George's, Ottawa was purchased in 1885. The first Anglican service in the church was held on May 31st that year. The main spire was struck by lightning twice on June 28, 1898 and set ablaze. When repaired, the decision was made to have it not extend above the original brickwork. In 1906, a parish hall was erected by the congregation. Bishop John Charles Roper consecrated St. George's, Ottawa on October 14, 1928. A rectory was purchased around 1929. In 1960, St. George's marked its 75th anniversary and the centennial was celebrated at Easter of 1985 for which major renovations to the church and parish hall were undertaken.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places