Fonds CONG-102 - St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Lancaster, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Lancaster, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00313 CONG-102

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1957-1980 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Lancaster (also known as St. Andrew's, South Lancaster and as St .Andrew's, Kirktown) began with services from about 1787, conducted by the Rev. John Bethune. A frame church was completed in 1790. A stone church (from which the later name for the congregation of the "Old Stone Church" comes) was built in the mid-1850s. The church in Lancaster was originally part of a pastoral charge of four churches established by the Rev. John Bethune - the other three were in Summerstown, Martintown and Cornwall. He served these congregations until his death in 1815. Beginning in the 1850s, the church in Lancaster was linked as a two-point charge with a church about 5 miles distant called the Second Concession Church. Both of these congregations were connected with the Church of Scotland and in 1875 voted to continue that connection rather than join the newly formed "The Presbyterian Church in Canada". This changed in 1898, however, when they decided to join the Canadian church. In 1899, they were joined together with the Presbyterian church in Curry Hill to form a united congregation under the name "St. Andrew's, Lancaster" - one congregation with three church buildings. The nature of this relationship caused a fair bit of difficulty at the time of the Church Union vote in 1925. In the end, the outcome was decided by Mr. Justice Orde who gave his report on October 1926. The "Old Stone Church" in Lancaster remained Presbyterian while the Curry Hill church and the Second Concession church became part of the new United Church of Canada. The "Old Stone Church" continued under the name of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Lancaster. In 1976 Martintown was linked with St. Andrew's, Lancaster to form a two-point charge.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the following records of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Ontario: two histories written about the church (1957, 1980); two Anniversary Orders of Service (1962, 1972); and an Annual Report (1975).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Notes Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A file list is available. See FA-4000L at The Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area