Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Alban the Martyr Church (Anglican), Ottawa, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 A43&6.O.1 S2&16 06 05&51 O6
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2.2 m of textual records 58 architectural drawings 6 photographs : b&w and col. Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Alban's congregation met in the court room of the Ottawa Court House from October of 1865 and in December of that year, the name St. Alban the Martyr was chosen. Sunday services continued in the Court House until the church was built. Mr. Henry Bate provided the land for the church and the cornerstone was laid on May 9, 1867. The new church was opened for services on September 8th of that year. Renovations were undertaken and the church was completed and reopened on February 18, 1877. Land was obtained for a rectory in 1898. Bishop Charles Hamilton consecrated St. Alban the Martyr, Ottawa on May 3, 1914. Renovations and restoration were done in 1934 and again in 1945 and 1952. The centennial of St. Alban's was held on October 15, 1967. The rectory was sold in 1977. Restoration work was undertaken on the church building from 1987-1992. In 1992, the 125th anniversary celebrations were held.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of St. Alban the Martyr congregation in Ottawa, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1865-1983, vestry records, 1865-1999, service registers, 1880-1993, records of committees and organizations, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, newsclippings, lists of parishioners, newsletters, special collections, architectural drawings, and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times b clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of St. Alban the Martyr, Ottawa.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. Architectural records finding aid. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Half of the photographs are encapsulated.
Parish history published in 1942.