Fonds F1213 - Southwold Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Southwold Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F1213

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1880-2013 (Creation)
    Creator
    Southwold Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

83.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1964)

Administrative history

Southwold Pastoral Charge was formed in 1964 when Frome, Iona, Lawrence Station, McBrides Church in Southwold Township and Shedden were combined.

Shedden Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925; formerly a Methodist Circuit, it included Frome and Southwold Station

Shedden United Church, also known as Bethany United Church, formerly Methodist; services began in Shedden in 1811; the first church was built ca. 1837 as a Methodist Episcopal Church, later rebuilt by 1886; Shedden Circuit consisted of Frome and Shedden, later Iona, Southwold and Lawrence Station added; upon union in 1925, Shedden was its own charge with Frome and Southwold; in 1964 amalgamations took place for churches in area to join the newly-created Southwold Pastoral Charge, while some members withdrew from the United Church, other members joined Shedden United Church as their own church closed, including Iona, McBride’s, and Lawrence Station; this amalgamated congregation chose to change the name of Shedden United Church to Bethany United Church in 1968

Woodview United Church (Lawrence Station, Ont.) was established in 1925; formerly Methodist, the church was first built ca. 1868 with the congregation originally known as Miller’s Church, later joined with the Wesleyan Methodist church at Fingal for a two-point circuit; then becomes Iona Circuit along with Iona and Muskoka; a new church is built in Lawrence Station in 1885; Muskoka is dropped and Southwold is added; from 1919-1925 Lawrence Station, with Shedden and Southwold, forms the Shedden Circuit; after general union, Lawrence Station Pastoral Charge is created and made up of two other preaching points, Cowal and McBride’s (Shedden and Southwold are separate); in 1963 this charge is discontinued and Lawrence Station is moved to the Southwold Pastoral Charge; Lawrence Station closed in 1966

Frome United Church was established 1925; formerly Congregational

McBrides United Church in Southwold Township was established in 1925; it closed around 1966

Iona United Church was established in 1925; formerly Methodist, it closed around 1966

Bethany United Church, Shedden was established in 1968 after the congregation of Woodview United Church, Lawrence Station joined Shedden United Church in 1966

Southwold United Church was formed in 1925, formerly Methodist

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Session minutes of St. Columba Presbyterian Church, 1865-1869; deed of Lawrence Methodist Church, St. Lawrence Station, 1880; attendance register of Southwold Methodist Church, 1911-1920; Official Board minutes of Shedden Pastoral Charge (includes Frome, Southwold, Shedden Methodist Circuit), 1922-1964; records, including baptisms, 1899-1990, marriages, 1922-1990, burials, 1955-1990, of Southwold Pastoral Charge (includes Lawrence Station, McBride's, Cowal, Shedden, Frome, Iona, Woodview), 1899-2012; records of Shedden United Church (includes Shedden Methodist Church), 1922-1965; records of Southwold United Church (includes Southwold Methodist Church), 1923-1962; records of Woodview United Church, Lawrence Station (includes Lawrence Methodist Church), 1880, 1926-1966; collection book of Frome United Church, 1932-1978; Congregational minutes of McBrides United Church in Southwold Township, 1927-1937; records of Iona United Church, 1964-1965; records of Bethany United Church (Shedden, Ont.) 1966-2013.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions to some registers apply

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

London Conference - finding aid 291

Associated materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1977.572L

Accession

1994.063L

Accession

2005.111L

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area